Remote Audio Site down with Virus?

Lawrence Chick

Hi Jim,

Yes, That's the one I saw, and quickly close my window.

Is that a virus on Remote audio's website?

Thanks,

Lawrence

I don't think so. The folks that host Remote Audio's site for them are trying to cut down on bot traffic. It's just checking that your IP address is controlled by a person not a bot. I'm pretty sure we are bot-free here at my place and the page came up, most likely because there are known bot problems on a node of Verizon's network in my area with an IP address close to mine.

Glen Trew who posted earlier in the thread seems to think things are OK on the site and since it's his company, I have reason to trust that's true.

Best regards,

Jim

Well, I'm not sure why, but it seems there was another manufacturers' site that I was also trying to access a while back and had something similar and was very likely a virus. As I not only had I closed that window, but also pulled out the Lan cable quickly, and that probably saved me. As there was a new error message that came out saying something like the file is stopped while downloading.

Sorry for using your famous quotes, but, I guess, "It depends".... sorry Mike couldn't help that one.. :)

I spoke with the Remote Audio webmaster. As it turns out, the warning is exactly what it says it is. It pops up when botnet virus has been detected on your computer or your network. Many websites (like Remote Audio and, I believe, the JWSound site) participate in this program in an effort to reduce botnet activity. By filling in the text field, you are proving that you have reached the site by human means and are, therefore, not a threat.

I realize that having this window pop up causes most (including myself) to be suspicious and reluctant to do what it says. The webmaster is trying to decide whether or not it's worth the uneasiness that it causes, and whether or not to continue participating in the program. But if you see the window, it does indicate that your computer or your network has a botnet virus.

Glen Trew

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Btw, not sure if JwSound site is implemented, as I access it without such warning? Or could it be that it's implemented differently?

Thanks,

Lawrence

JWSOUNDGROUP site (this site) does not have any of these automatic bot-detection schemes implemented. We do have a fairly robust and multi-step registration routine with the final step being my individual scrutiny of each registration before approving it, and this has helped keep things in order here. We have had a few "people" get through by hacking the "Guest" member status and we have been flagged by Google once as being a "malicious site" (which we are not, of course).