48 tracks on an iPad, what is the world coming to?

Ray Collins

And then there's this:

Behringer Introduces Revolutionary iPad Mixers XENYX iX3242USB, iX2442USB and iX1642USB

Posted on Tuesday January 17th, 2012 by admin

Three Premium Small Format Mixers with iPad® Docking Station Expand the Renowned XENYX Series

January 18, 2012 Bothell, WA – Just in time for the 2012 NAMM Show, BEHRINGER unveils three small format premium mixers that directly interface with the ever-popular iPad. Drawing on the power of the most ubiquitous mobile digital device, the XENYX iX Series mixers are designed to handle live performance and provide state-of-the-art tools to create professional recordings. Users can also sync performances to video by utilizing the iPad‘s video out capability.

Behringer-iX1642USB1-300x225.jpg

Rest of the press release:

http://www.behringer.com/news/behringer-introduces-revolutionary-ipad-mixers-xenyx-ix3242usb-ix2442usb-and-ix1642usb/

Is it clear that the Behringer allows anything other than a 2 track send and return from the iPad? I'm not sure that it allows recording of ISOs or busses.

As far as Zaxcom is concerned, I would love to see an implementation of ZaxNet extended to the iPhone / iPad. LTC timecode I/O with user bits implemented to read the remote transmitter's status, input gains, and remote roll transport state. Glenn, would you consider a 3rd party solution intrusion on the Zaxcom IP or a welcome community effort?

• 1 month later...

Why is it that people want to add one more (consumer) link to the signal path?

I already have an excellent multitrack mixer/recorder with a touch screen interface that generates its own sound reports. It's called a Zaxcom Deva Fusion.

Maybe my aversion to all things Apple is coloring my view, but I don't want to show up to set with a gadget that looks like it came from a Skymall catalogue.

The virtual pots, in time will probably get better. The price point of $999.00 will probably drop after they are readily available. Before they are even available they dropped the price by $250.00. My biggest concern would be being able to hack it to run on 12 vdc, from what I can tell iPads run on 1.5 volts, doubtful Mackie is generating 48 out of that. Also only 6 aux outs is limiting. I haven't heard the Onyx pre amps, but the baffle gab seems to indicate we are closing in on Neve specs. Could make a quick and dirty back up to my old Sonosax SX S. I think I will wait a year, never an early adopter be. ;-) iPad specs indicate they are no good below freezing, 32 degrees, and the high end 95 degrees Fahrenheit, so that is limiting.

Maybe my aversion to all things Apple is coloring my view, but I don't want to show up to set with a gadget that looks like it came from a Skymall catalogue.

I think one of the factors that is driving all of this is that as strong an aversion as you have to Apple, there are legions of people (often not thinking too clearly) who adore Apple and want to do everything in their lives with an Apple product in their hands. I don't think I would ever want to use this Mackie device professionally, but we all know how even the definition of "professional" is undergoing rapid change in today's world. I do find it amazing what can be done, manufacturing-wise and price point, when you are dealing with these huge companies and economy of scale.

I can barely type on my iPhone without making mistakes. I can just see making a 3/4dB change and slipping! Whoops...

I do like the idea of using an iPad as a dBfs meter display (not for faders), which would be very cool on the cart for, say, a 788 or Nomad-type device, especially if the meters are low latency:

mzl.wjgacbfd.320x480-75.jpgmzl.orlkziyi.320x480-75.jpg

Is this a capability of the Nomad yet? (I honestly don't know.)