New ERX1TCD for 5D shoot : questions ...

Boomboom

New ERX1TCD: questions ...

Just got my unit and to test it, I plugged my IFB100 (TA5 connector-audio in) into the headphones phones plug of my mixer to check if I could get audio into the ERX.

All I get is kind of variable sound through a morse code effect, so to say. Weird.

Also, what would be the ideal setting for outputting TC on one channel to a Canon 5D DSLR ? I can see, in the menus, "0.125 volts (D5)" ; is the "D5" for the 5D ? (see my settings below).

What I'd like to do is send both TC and audio on the Canon 5D.

I'll let you my settings now, so maybe someone can lead me to what I'm doing wrong(?) :

Max Volume: 23dB

TC Frame Rate: 29.97

Freq: 2.403 RX (same as my IFB100)

Audio Delay: off

- Press up 5x... - (non applicable here)

Remote Control: group ID 1

IFB voting: normal (off)

Timecode Output: on, right

TC Delay: 0 (normal)

TCJam Mute Time: 0ms (default)

Backlight timer: 15 seconds

LED Brightness: dim

1K notch filter: off

Zaxnet Output: on

TC ouput level: 0.125 volts (D5)

Volume Mode: variable

ID1:001 ID0: 001

Software Version 1-07

One more question: in the manual, concerning the Zaxnert Output Enable Page, it says "this page enables/disables passing zaxnet commands with the timecode output" : what "commands" are we talking about ?

Also: how does it work for a script ? I get the freezing function for timecode but for scenes and takes, is there a way to get it straight instead of running through
ubits
, then
scene
then
take
each time I press one of the - up or down - arrows ?

Thanks, and yes I rtm...

Zaxnet output sends out the "roll", "stop", "gain" and "freq" commands that are used for controlling the wireless transmitters. It doesn't really affect the 5D because it's not "listening" for them, but I turn it off anyway.

I've had success using the D5 setting when sending audio into the 5D, why is it called D5? who knows, maybe a copyright thing... Just send timecode, then set the audio input level on the 5D so that the meter is fairly high, but not clipping.

In my personal experience, I find it's more useful just to send audio to the 5D, and then sync using a slate or pluraleyes, but if you want to send TC, that's fine too.

The Scene/Take/UB part of the ERX only works if you're feeding timecode from a Zaxcom recorder. I'm no expert on using that part, as I've got a 744T at the moment, but AFAIK the cycle between S/T/UB is just that - a cycle. There's no way the choose which one it goes to, it just goes to the 'next one' in the cycle. Hope that makes sense.

As for getting audio in the IFB100, you may find issues sending an unbalanced input into it... I don't know. I know the IFB board in my QRX likes a balanced signal more than an unbalanced one...

Tom, you are right on on this one: I took for granted every unit was "ID1:001 ID0: 001" from factory, which is a thing I never touched on my IFB100 and double-checking it, the IFB was set to "000 / 000"...

Now, I have to figure out why the audio I get on the ERX is so low on the two sets of phones I got under hand (one being my every working day phones). Even cranked up, it's very low. I probably have to look into details at what I'm sending into the IFB100 TA5 connector. Right now, I'm taking signal from my 302 via its TA3 output on the side (I usually use for comteks). The XLR main outputs already being taken by my STA100+TRX900AA I use as a recorder.

sooundslikejustin: yes, it's probably working with recorders (scene/take/ubits). I'll go my "usual way" tomorrow (scratch track via G2 + slating with that new Toolbox iPhone app from Denecke) but will try to sort the details out for next shoot.

When you say "Zaxnet output sends out the "roll", "stop", "gain" and "freq" commands that are used for controlling the wireless transmitters", do you mean the ERX, then, becomes a "bridge" used to carry that signal to the transmiters on set ? A little like the ifb voting function would do for long distances ?

Well, 00h45 and waking up at 5h00 so thanks again a lotguys, with your help I feel I'm more than halfway through now :-)

When you say "Zaxnet output sends out the "roll", "stop", "gain" and "freq" commands that are used for controlling the wireless transmitters", do you mean the ERX, then, becomes a "bridge" used to carry that signal to the transmiters on set ? A little like the ifb voting function would do for long distances ?

The ERX is not a transmitter, so it does not relay the signal to the wireless. The IFB voting function only works if you have multiple IFB100's and the ERX can choose to receive from the one it's getting the best signal from. I don't know what the function of Zaxnet Output on the ERX's actually is... perhaps a question for Glenn.

Now, I have to figure out why the audio I get on the ERX is so low on the two sets of phones I got under hand (one being my every working day phones). Even cranked up, it's very low. I probably have to look into details at what I'm sending into the IFB100 TA5 connector. Right now, I'm taking signal from my 302 via its TA3 output on the side (I usually use for comteks). The XLR main outputs already being taken by my STA100+TRX900AA I use as a recorder.

I don't know what level the IFB 100 is looking for (I haven't used that function), but keep in mind the 302 output is something like 15dB lower than the main output.

Now, I have to figure out why the audio I get on the ERX is so low on the two sets of phones I got under hand (one being my every working day phones). Even cranked up, it's very low.

On the IFB100 there is a set of white trim pots, send a 20db tone and make sure you see the meter line go up to the vertical line on the display area.

The IFB mixes L+R (default) into the mono signal, make sure your not phase canceling as well.

Joel

Thanks guys.

John: re-read the manual, yep; 15dB lower on that output so it completes what Joel said:

cranked these levels on the IFB100 practically all the way up to get as close as I can to an ok level.

Of course, if I plug the IFB100 into a headphones ouput (like it was intended to do when monitoring a camera), there's a variable gain I can play with (the volume) and not on that Tape Out output on the 302 but I guess that'll make the trick.

soundslikejustin: probably not like the voting function on IFBs. I'll try to get more info about that later (what "commands" (as said in the manual) it actually sends.

I'll keep in mind that it worked with the .125 D5 settings, but as a measure of caution, I'll start with the .031volt, then .062... then .125 just in case. It's a little hard to know about exact "mic levels" with prosumer units these days... ::)

Again: very mucho thanks to all of you guys.

I too find the audio out levels on the ERX units (I've two of each) pretty low using typical village headphones. Double checked tone out to be at -20 on the IFB100. Levels at the ERX's are maxed out. Only have left channel 'in' to the five-pin at the IFB100 so I don't think there's any phasing going on, and the unit if properly set to send / receive the proper side.

I can bump the Aux send, but that shows darned high on the mixer.

Curious.

-- Jan

Once again, this forum proved to be invaluable ... :-D

I'm sending audio files now for testing with 3 different levels ( .031/.064/.125 volts) so post can tell me which falvor they prefer...

Jan: on my "to do" list now: looking for headphones with lowest resistance I can find !

Cheers

Edit:

as a note, curiously I had to lower the pots on the IFB100 when I adjusted on the 5D for audio track, so these levels seem to have nothing to do with settings we'd use for audio monitoring purposes ( script or director...) .