BEHRINGER Mixers announced

Thanks to Scott Farr for finding this.

January 18, 2012 Bothell, WA – Just in time for the 2012 NAMM Show, BEHRINGER unveils three small format premium mixers that directly interface with the ever-popular iPad. Drawing on the power of the most ubiquitous mobile digital device, the XENYX iX Series mixers are designed to handle live performance and provide state-of-the-art tools to create professional recordings. Users can also sync performances to video by utilizing the iPad‘s video out capability.

Behringer-iX1642USB1-300x225.jpg

iX1642USB

The new XENYX iX Series, which include the XENYX iX3242USB, iX2442USB and iX1642USB, feature a built-in iPad docking station designed to send signal to and from the iPad with a wide range of routing options.

The innovative feature set included in the new XENYX iX Series USB mixers makes it possible to record and mix on a professional level thanks to the built-in, stereo USB audio interface. Connect these mixers directly to a PC or Mac computer via a single USB cable to record any signal source connected to the mixer.

....Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Wow, they are on some SERIOUS acid over there at Mackie.

Welcome to the world of Viral Video marketing... It's exploitation of the free internet social networks for advertising penatration.

But the real interesting side point of the product is that now sound mixers and mix a scene directly from the craft service table.

Next the phone-it-in version with skype video and robo boom.

Behringer is notorious for copying Mackie products..

Mackie Product = Onyx

Behringer Product = Xenyx

Really Behringer?

Besides the fact that most of their stuff is garbage sonically, it's stuff like that that precludes me from ever giving them my money.

I remember seeing their Mackie 8-bus clone at AES, as the rep went out of his way to explain that it wasn't a copy because the EQ and Aux send positions were flipped on the channel strip.

IIRC, Behringer's been sued by Aphex, BBE, dbx, Peavey, Roland, and perhaps others. Thing is, I don't think their stuff is garbage. It may not be great, but many seem to find it good enough. At least, I see their Truth speakers and small mixers in a lot of (picture) post houses.

I'm not defending Behringer. But man, they can move product...at least in the lower-end MI space.

Jim

Interesting that you didn't mention that they had been sued by Mackie, as everyone usually says they are copying Mackie most of all.

You want to talk about sonic (and physical) garbage, what about Phonic? THEY are the ripoff artists, using components that even the Chinese might consider cheap.

I have used a fair amount of both Mackie and Behringer gear, and I still own a few pieces of Behringer. I haven't really noticed any "sonic garbage" from their stuff. Sure, it might not be audiophile quality, but would you say Mackie is? I have heard on some occasions where sound designer snobs I know have sneered at Mackie as not being "professional grade" enough, yet they can't seem to quantify how Mackie is worse than another brand like Soundcraft where the features match. To me, if the gear is working properly, Behringer does a fine job and sounds comparable to other gear I have used.

Interesting that you didn't mention that they had been sued by Mackie, as everyone usually says they are copying Mackie most of all.

I didn't mention Mackie because John and Tom kinda mentioned the Behringer-Mackie connection, and in typical internet haste I thought they mentioned the suit. I think Mackie didn't win that suit, but ya... brainfart on my part.

No harm no foul Jim, I couldn't remember whether Mackie had sued them or not, much less any outcome. Obviously since they are still in business, they haven't copied much more than the outward appearance and layouts. Not saying that more hasn't been copied, but not enough to get them in serious trouble.

Design layouts of sound boards are all very similar anyway, kinda like wheels are all round - not too many routes to the same results I guess.

Behringer is notorious for copying Mackie products.

I used to work for Drawmers sister company, in the same building, at the time Behringer launched a range of rack mount compressors, and gates. We opened one up and the designer was staggered at how closely they'd ripped off the equivalent Drawmer product, they were furious, but at the time didn't feel legal action would achieve anything, I don't know if they ever did take action. Behringer seem to have had very few original ideas, but they do make reasonable quality kit, just not to their own design!

Although this has been discussed before no one has mentioned in this thread the impact of the 2010 aquisition of Midas and Klark Teknik on the new XENYX iX series and future Behringer products. I can only imagine the engineers from these two relatively new aquisitions will have a positive impact on Behringer. New Behringer products might not have the same quality build that Midas and Klark Teknik did before the aquisition but I would hope the M and K T engineers will only help to improve future Behringer products. I'm keeping an open mind.

Andy

Mackie has always been a quirky company. I've always liked the fact they use humor all over the place on their website, technical documents (remember the "to albuquerque" bus on the 1604 technical diagram?), and advertising.

As far as one company ripping off another. That happens all the time, and unless you have protected your product legally, there is nothing you can do, unless someone is trying to brand a fake as the original.

sad when they basically shut down the Washington factory and moved it all to China

I did some funny-manual writing for Mackie back in the early 90s. For one, I wanted a pix of their assembly line to go with copy about how the units were built in the US. They said it might be a problem... where they were, most of the Americans who did electronic assembly looked Asian!

I got a tour of Mackie's Woodlinville factory and other facilities a few years before they moved most manufacturing overseas. And I remember seeing some old Tapco mixers when I was a kid. It was pretty dang cool. Lots of pride and lots of musicians amongst the staff both in the design rooms and on the factory floor, as you might expect. Ya, the company's changed. Ya, iPad control surfaces are unproven. But it's good to see the company, even without any association with Greg Mackie, doing some clever stuff.

And despite misgivings about the company's history, it's nice to see Behringer doing some interesting stuff, too.

I'll admit "garbage sonically" as a blanket statement may have been a bit harsh on my part.

The majority of my exposure to their product was at the FOH position in various clubs.

For mixing live music, they are garbage. As a summing mixer or a signal router, they do fine.

That being said, I still won't support their policy of theft vs R&D.

It is, however, largely still a free country.

YMMV

Funny Mackie story, I used to work for a company in the early age of digital that wholeheartedly embraced analog and 'vintage' gear.

We had a booth out at AES, and the owner decided to make a sculpture to adorn it with. It consisted of a Mackie 1202 that had been plugged in, doused in coffee, Coca Cola, an ashtray or two and some healthy helpings of melted solder. It sat on the shop floor, plugged in, for about a week. Anyone passing by was encouraged to give it a good kick or a stomp. Also aquired, a non working ADAT unit which was subject to a few soldering iron jabs through the display, a 'punch in' with a hammer and a couple shotput contests off the loading dock. Both the ADAT and the Mackie then had a 1" hole drilled through, top to bottom, and were mounted on a steel spike set into a base. The whole thing was set on a corner of our booth with a sign that said "Shit On A Stick" "Non-Performance Art by [Company Owner]". Greg Mackie strolled over, looked at it, chuckled and said "Hey, you bought it, do whatever you want with it. It probably still works." Later that day, 4 suits from Alesis came by with the show chairman to profusely complain about the egregious display of their product.

The next day the 'sculpture' was gone, replaced by a sign reading "This Space For Rent. Formerly Occupied By The First Amendment." with smaller text at the bottom reading "BTW, The Mackie guys were cool" and a case of beer was sent to the Mackie booth.

Good times.

Edit: Found a photo.

I've been noticing an awfull lot of used Mackie mixers on eBay getting rusty. Rusty nuts on the phono jacks, surface rust on the panels. There was a time, back in radio, that our consoles (Collins/McCurdy) lasted a lifetime, 30 years was not uncommon, not so much anymore. I guess you get what you pay for. The 1402 used hot glue to mount the filter caps. Older Sonosax don't seem to corrode, mind you they cost 100x more than a Mackie.;-)

Um, I contributed to the Mackie manuals. There were other folks, I'm sure.

Mackie's Ron Kohliha was The Man who set the tone for the projects... and their packaging and ads, as well.

(You can blame me exclusively for the manuals for AKG/Orban DAWs, Telos ZephyrExpress, and 25-Seven's current time manipulators. They're possibly cute* in places, but a lot more detailed and not as funny as the Mackie stuff.)

(*The Orban manual includes a legitimate index entry for "Lox". And it's not referring to liquid oxygen or to smoked salmon.)