Whoever wrote this is awesome

stephensharrod

" about younger cats (like me) under cutting and destroying the industry. "

I don't think that is what you are doing...

" $450 as a minimal rate for a very basic system is not outrageous for somebody starting out. "

if you can get it... but the CL gigs aren't paying thatthat is what it is... and the CL folks don't, in the end, really know the differences between DEVA's and Zoom's or between Azden's and Schoeps'...they ultimately don't care, not really, about anything but the $$ they have.

" A couple of lavs, a boom, a simple recorder... $10K would buy that. "

2 x Senn Evo-100, an inexpensive AT shotgun mic in a shockmount, with basic wind protection, on a Gitso pole, and a Zoom recorder <$2.5k

" a personal minimum, has nothing to do with the hard facts of purchasing gear. "

they are separate, and so should the labor rate and the equipment rental rate be kept separate, and appropriate...

" situation that I and many others are facing at this very early stage (as a young soundie) We saved our pennies, dug into our end of the world emergency funds to try to purchase, IMO quality gear and only to be LB by a craigslister and amateur filmmakers in general. "

Once again, we come to <tiger>...

No matter what gear you buy, when you are a beginner, you are typically able to command only lower rates, as you get experience -and sadly, CL gig experience isn't exactly good experience, either--; folks begin to expect, and command better rates, and better rentals (better equipment!) CL folks will only pay beginner rates, and basic (cheap) equipment rental (Zoom).

Edited by studiomprd

• 4 weeks later...