So you've gotta let me know-Do I stay or do I go?

A recent film here in Savannah had fully 25% of the crew as unpaid slaves,

Not sure where your getting your info from but that is incorrect . Like any film it had some interns but not 25% and none were in Camera, Sound, Grip or Electric.

IATSE was apparently well aware of it... Yet the project didn't have a single picketer or comment made about it. $15 million dollar budget, and major well-known actors.

The film was a Tier 1 National Low Budget Agreement film with a budget of 5 million or less no where near 15 Million if it was over 15 Million it would have been ASA contract. Big name actors also don't mean big paychecks.

Our Local IASTE Assistant Business Agent visited more than a few times during production and was very proactive in making sure production was treating the crew fairly. While we all wish the IA was doing more I think our Local has been doing a good job.

If the movie is under a union contract and everyone is being paid according to the terms of the contract no strike or picketing would occur.

I think your just bend out of shape cause you didn't get a chance to work on the film don't feel bad I have done the last two union films in town and this film elected to bring in a LA based sound crew so I didn't even get a chance to interview it happens.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much money did Avatar gross again? Something starting with a "b" if I'm not mistaken... Now, how much NET was there? (Hint: that line on the budget will be red and start with a "-" sign.)

Avatar made $2.78 billion, cost $235M, and did come into net profits (according to several articles I read on the subject). It's not often that a blockbuster grosses more than 10 times its budget, so in this case, they weren't able to hide the profits.

It's interesting to read Fatal Subtraction, the 1992 book on Art Buchwald's lawsuit against Paramount over profits from Coming to America -- a movie that cost $40M and made $350M, but never made any "net profit." Studio profit, gross profit, adjusted gross profit, and net profit are all different. Jim Cameron did reveal in an interview he made very, very little money on Avatar until it went over a billion dollars... and then he really cleaned up.

Note that Cameron has just moved his entire operation to New Zealand (including his family), partially to take advantage of New Zealand's economy and tax credits for filmmakers.

Day 1 and 2 were pretty smooth. It turns out that the A.D, D.I.T, and a P.A have also directed some of these shorts for their company. In total it's about a team of 7 that take turns doing different tasks. Any bad blood between me and the producer is erased as well. And I learned compared to a lot of these other crew members I'm getting paid well. Day 3 is up and I've got a boom op! Thanks for all the negotiation tips.

I wouldn't work with a client that tries to manipulate you or is anything but polite and trustworthy.

I figure it's not the last time something like this will happen. This producer in particular really doesn't know anything and is one of those types that is nowhere to be found on set when needed, and stresses out over very absurd things. I was happy to work with the crew and made some contacts in doing so. If I rejected every impolite producer I wouldn't be working too much! I think you just have to know how to handle the situation and the person.