The Post Group?

wbrisett

As anybody here had any dealings with the Post Group telecine's organization? I have to have a call with them today, as I try to sort out some ongoing issues they are having with dailies from a production that I worked a few days on (I left due to prior commitments, but left my gear on the production for the mixer to use), but apparently they are having some sync issues with the Deva and picture. I don't know all the details yet. I had a conversation with the mixer yesterday, and I'll need to call them today to find out exactly what sync issues they are having. I do know that from day one we've had issues with this organization and getting the right audio for the dailies.

Anyhow, I thought I would see if anybody else has had any experience (good or bad) in dealing with them.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne,

Back in the day, the Post Group was quite leading edge..... I have every reason to believe them to have remained so.

The leadership / founder is Fred Rheinstein, who's iconic career goes way way back to the Kennedy-Dallas coverage, and to most of the Gemini - Apollo coverages.... 

I did a lot of work for them in motorsport television in the mid 80s to early 90s, back when Nascar was a fringe-thing.

He also created the post-production arm of Disney in Orlando - and stacked their decks with top notch talent and equipment ...

I'm almost 20yrs out of playing in some of the post world, but I'd gather that if they are STILL around, alive, and kicking, then they must have been doing something right, especially given the immense changes in post-prod equipment, investment, and process....

Sadly, I can't give you any names any more ..... good luck ...

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta Field Production, Inc.

Fred Rheinstein sold the place a couple of years ago to a corporation that also owns Lightning Dubs, I/O Film, NovaStar Sound, and a few other related firms.

The chief telecine engineer of Post Group is Bob Wilson, an old pal of mine, who is a first-class guy. I'm certain he can straighten out the sync problem, or at least narrow down the causes.

From my last experience (of about 3-4 years ago), Post Group was using Fostex DV-40 and DV-824 units to play back DVD-RAM and DVD-R location sound files. Standard procedure is 30NDF TC, which they pull down in the bay to 29.97 (to match the film frame rate of 23.976FPS).

--Marc W.

Thanks everybody for the input. I probably should have updated this earlier. As it turns out, there were issues on both sides, but a lot stemmed from the production itself and how the director and DP saw things versus what the Post Group saw things. This particular production has had it's fair share of issues and this was simply one more of them that simply needed to be worked out. It seems that all is well now that both sides now understand things.

Wayne