Firefox 3 beta

Mozilla has released Firefox 3 beta and it now looks exactly like Safari! I think that's great so the few times I actually have to use Firefox because of Safari incompatibilities, everything looks basically the same. For me, Firefox has never held any great attraction over Safari in terms of speed, ease of use and so forth.

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815076131_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Beta 4 available, faster than safari 3.1

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

I didn't know a Firefox Beta 4 was out --- I guess that even the amount of time I have been spending in front of my computer isn't enough to keep up with everything. As far as SPEED goes, for those not reading the ZDNET article Scott posted, here is an excerpt from the article which talks about the current benchmarks:

"Apple isn’t kidding when it says that Safari 3.1 is fast.  In my SunSpider JavaScript benchmark it is only narrowly beaten by Firefox 3.0 Beta 4.

Based on these results, Safari 3.1 is neck and neck with Firefox 3.0 Beta 4, about twice as fast as Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 and Firefox 3.0 Beta 3, four times faster than Firefox 2.0.0.12 and, well, about seven times faster than Internet Explorer 7.

Just for completeness I decided to run the same benchmarks on a smaller cross-section of Mac OS X browsers on the Mac mini that I have here.  In this test Safari 3.1 beat both Safari 3.0.4 and Firefox 2.0.0.12 and 3.0 Beta 4."

• 2 months later...

...an undisclosed Safari vulnerability that could allow a remote attacker to steal files from the user's system.

By an amazing coincidence, I just listened to the latest MacBreak podcast (available for free from iTunes), and they were talking about this. Reportedly, this was fixed with the OSX 10.5.3 update that just got sent out a couple of days ago. They "say."

--Marc W.