Uganda - requirements for recording

chickaboom

Hi people,

I'm heading off to Uganda in 7 weeks to record a doco. Does anyone have advice about what I need to take in regards to lectro blocks, carnets and filming permits. I've had shots and am keeping an eye on the Ebola situation. Is Public liability insurance important? Having travelled to a number of third world countries I'm aware of food issues. I want to know more local/ technical information if anyone has ideas.

Many thanks,

Chickaboom

Regarding your shoot in UG, Blocks 20 27 26 work well, here in east Africa the governments hav'nt sorted out freqs for radios used within the film and tv industries. Filming permits are a must as you could have your equipment seized on the spot by police and other government workers!!!!! a lot of crews come into east Africa and hope for the best, my advice is to source a local fixer.

Regarding ebola, the main area that is affected is some 200k from Kampala however some cases have been reported within Kampala.

One more thing, the use of none specd radio units used often over here can cause problems, so keep that in mind.

Best Lee Smith, Newish member;-))

ps you can contact me by email; lee3028.ls@gmail.com or lee@roughcuts.co.ke im based within Kenya.

Hey there,

I did a doc. in Uganda last year and I would assume you have a local fixer, I would say that would be essential! We had a great guy if you would like his details I could get them for you (he was a very experienced film guy).

I was running block 21 with no issues what so ever. Also I think I just turned up with my equipment and there was no carnet involved (that mightn't be the right way to do it but no one ever asked going in or out).

Uganda is a great country, everyone speaks English which is handy if English is your first language and the people were warm and welcoming.

Have a great time!

i was in Uganda for a doco about seven years ago. we shooted mostly in Kampala and Gulu and, of course, in many poor villages in the countries. It was a very simple project, i've used a boom and a couple of wireless (they were Lectros block 27). Non problem, i had a great range in open spaces, over 100m.

No problems with the food, too. We ate almost always fish or chicken, but all was ok.

Be aware of mosquitos.. they are very annoying.

have a nice journey, anyway.

v.

Shot there a few times. First was just after Idi Amin was ousted. You should not have very much difficulty find an open freq.

A good fixer is essential (don't let the production company cut corners without one). Food should be no problem.

Quiet villages with an occasional cellular ringtone interruption (a recent third world reality)

I was there on doco shoot five or so years ago. I had a fantastic time. Local knowledge is a must as is anti malarial meds; check with your travel doc for other advice. I had rabies shots too from memory.

Lots of open spaces so not much gong on rf wise. The food was pretty good, in cities anyway. Just take normal third world eating precautions (everything must be cooked unless you peel it yourself and drink only bottled wster).

Enjoy I say!