664 file structure confusion

jacquesstar

I am still confused with the file naming structure of the 664.

Why is it still Scene 1 when I change folders? How do I know which folder is loaded that I created? Do I just highlight it under folder options?

I am so used to my TASCAM, where I created a scene, and it would just put takes in that folder, starting at take 00. This is a but confusing in the 664 menu.

SD filenames are based off Scene and Take metadata. The Folder name has nothing to do with the Scene and Take metadata and cam be called anything you like.

If you want to create Scene Folders, go ahead and do so, and then set your Scene name to none. You can then set the take counter to reset to 1 when you change folders (at least that's how it is on the 7 series - I don't have a 664)

I would only start a new folder with each day's shoot, not do one entire folder per scene. It'd be much too cumbersome for post to deal with having to get dozens of individual folders every day. It should be just one folder per day. 

Check with post and make sure they're good with whatever file structure you use for the cards or drives delivered at the end of the day.

I would only start a new folder with each day's shoot, not do one entire folder per scene. It'd be much too cumbersome for post to deal with having to get dozens of individual folders every day. It should be just one folder per day.

Check with post and make sure they're good with whatever file structure you use for the cards or drives delivered at the end of the day.

Marc, that's what I would do / actually do as well, but it is an available option...

The file names on the Sound Devices 7xx devices all work this way:

SCENE-TAKE

so if you had scene 7A, Take 2, the file would be

7A-2.WAV

and so on. Having sat in the assistant editor's chair before, the drudgery of having to change folders every time the scene changed would make me crazy. The file names will already sort in order, either by scene/take name or by time of day, so it's much easier if you can drag them all into a bin at one time. IMHO. 

The file names on the Sound Devices 7xx devices all work this way:

SCENE-TAKE

so if you had scene 7A, Take 2, the file would be

7A-2.WAV

and so on. Having sat in the assistant editor's chair before, the drudgery of having to change folders every time the scene changed would make me crazy. The file names will already sort in order, either by scene/take name or by time of day, so it's much easier if you can drag them all into a bin at one time. IMHO.

Not true. You can change the hyphen to almost any legal character. It is a capital t (T) by default. Unless I'm misreading something you're saying...

I agree, discuss with post. However, are day folders typical for recorders with less storage space? I would have thought cards are backed up and formatted each day. Also, in what instance is the full file structure of SD recorders needed or used? I too am transitioning to the 664/SD recorder workflow.

Not true. You can change the hyphen to almost any legal character. It is a capital t (T) by default. Unless I'm misreading something you're saying...

I got rid of the T for take because I thought it was stupid and unnecessary -- I just went with what Avid has used for years and years, and how we labeled and identified video takes in dailies at Technicolor for 20+ years.