Pretty good web hosting deal

Laurence

In case anybody is looking to set up a cheap website... the hosting company I've been sending people to lately, Lunarpages, has a 50% off deal for just today and this weekend.  The 2-year plan is cheap to begin with at $6.95/month for pretty much unlimited everything so now with this deal it comes down to just $3.50 monthly. No setup or additional fees and lots of stuff thrown in.  (Yes, they credit referrals.)  I've had a lot of experience with a lot of web hosts and they all have their unhappy moments but these guys have actually been quite good.  The coupon code gets applied on checkout if you start from this page http://www.lunarpages.com/id/52w9x/goto/weekendspecial

Good to know. I'll second what Laurence has said, having been a Lunarpages client for many, many years. I have several sites hosted on Lunarpages (this JWSOUNDGROUP is not one of them, however) and the support has been very good with real live English speaking people on the telephone (remember that device?). I chose another host for this site, not really sure why, but sort of liked the idea of having this particular all important site separate from the others.

Yes, the Lunarpages has a one-click Wordpress install... although even without that, Wordpress is pretty easy to install manually on almost any web hosting account.  Were you referring to Wordpress.org, which doesn't require that you get your own hosting plan?  Yes, that's an alternative, but Wordpress.org is very limited in terms of plugins and customizability and it almost always turns out best to get your own web hosting plan and install Wordpress on that.  Especially when you can get a plan as cheap as the one above.

Yes, the Lunarpages has a one-click Wordpress install... although even without that, Wordpress is pretty easy to install manually on almost any web hosting account.  Were you referring to Wordpress.org, which doesn't require that you get your own hosting plan?  Yes, that's an alternative, but Wordpress.org is very limited in terms of plugins and customizability and it almost always turns out best to get your own web hosting plan and install Wordpress on that.  Especially when you can get a plan as cheap as the one above.

There are advantages of hosting your Wordpress site within your own web hosting provider. I guess it just depends on how intricate of a site you want to build. The site I built was initiated through my web hosting provider since it came with additional plug-ins for free. 

Going with Wordpress.com vs Wordpress.org is a subjective matter. This page provides some info on choosing which is best. 

I just thought I'd chime in to let people know that they can also build a nice looking site fairly quickly, and for free, via Wordpress. ;)

(I misspoke by transposing .com and .org.)  Yes, the page you provided gives a good explanation of the difference.  And not having to get your own hosting is a lot easier for some people.  For others, getting your own hosting has benefits beyond what was mentioned on that page, like being able to setup up multiple email addresses with your domain name and FTP for large files and stuff like that... and, of course, build a non-Wordpress site.  Just a matter of preference and personal need.

That's a nice, clean approach, Miles. There are lots and lots of ways to do something so you have a "web presence" and using tumblr could be sufficient for others. It really depends on how much you want to be able to do with a site, how much you know about building these things, and how much you are willing to pay. I have done so many different sites using just about all of the free and low cost alternatives, and I have 3 paid server accounts, have built sites, blogs, php based forums, from scratch with Dreamweaver, iWeb, etc., and have built sites with premium site builder services (hosted, like Weelby, Wix, etc.). I have settled on most of the sites hosted on Weebly service but I also have a blog on Google, Posterous, tumblr and Wordpress; and of course, JWSOUNDGROUP which is hosted on one of my server accounts and is built on Invision Power Board forum software. 

As shared web hosting goes, Lunarpages is quite good... and for dedicated hosting, they're outstanding.  Even without the 50% off deal, they offer a very competitive deal.  Jeff turned me on to these guys several years ago and this has been the hosting company I've been recommending ever since then.

• 1 month later...

In case anybody is looking to set up a cheap website... the hosting company I've been sending people to lately, Lunarpages, has a 50% off deal for just today and this weekend.  The 2-year plan is cheap to begin with at $6.95/month for pretty much unlimited everything so now with this deal it comes down to just $3.50 monthly. No setup or additional fees and lots of stuff thrown in.  (Yes, they credit referrals.)  I've had a lot of experience with a lot of web hosts and they all have their unhappy moments but these guys have actually been quite good.  The coupon code gets applied on checkout if you start from this page http://www.lunarpages.com/id/52w9x/goto/weekendspecial

Hi,

Don't worry about that , i suggest you to visit 9cubehosting.com .Here they are providing shared hosting plan starting from $2.63/month.They are fully linux based hosting .They provide good customer service and support.

Damn... now I'm overpaying by 87 cents a month!  ...Although it looks like 9cube only lets you put one website on the account, whereas Lunarpages and many other hosting plans allow multiple additional sites per account.  When your hosting plan supports multiple sites at no extra cost, you'd be surprised how you suddenly find ways to take advantage of it.