Apple not at NAB this year

Apple has announced that they will not be at NAB this year. Some have speculated that this means Apple has given up on the Pro Applications. This is not the case, as analyzed by a very well informed (and lengthy article) to which I have posted this link:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/12/is-apple-shedding-its-final-cut-pro-apps-at-nab/#more-1554

This article also points out that Avid will not be at NAB. Additionally, within the article there are links to other articles, one details the history of Quicktime, Microsoft's efforts to kill it off, and lots of other interesting computer history.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/5F0C866C-6DDF-4A9A-9515-531B0CA0C29C.html

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

Scott mentioned this on another thread. there are a lot of big manufacturers, vendors and suppliers skipping out his year.

I figured Scott had mentioned this but I didn't have the time to look for his posting. What intrigued me more, actually, as the in depth articles I read from several sources that went far beyond just the news item that Apple, and others, would not attend NAB. Many of the articles talk about the expense of the big shows and their evolving and fading relevance in sectors of the tech world.

-  JW

Apple has officially said that they don't have a new version of Final Cut Pro or Logic Pro to introduce, so they're sitting out this year. They say they "may" be back at NAB next year if the new software releases coincide with the schedule. (Though rumors persist there will be new laptops out in the next 2 weeks.)

Avid has had a lot of financial problems over the last year, leading up to the ouster of their CEO not too long ago. I think in their case, they're going to try to save money. I think running a big booth at NAB costs upwards of $250,000, and they probably feel that would be better spent elsewhere.

Update: I just read elsewhere that an NAB booth costs upwards of $2 million (at least for the gargantuan Sony or Avid-sized booths), so I was off by a decimal point above. I know Sony's CES booth cost $250K in the late 1980s, but that was then and this is now...

--Marc W.

I always try to save my money and time for the AES anyway... 

I like the "company" more, and prefer to catch the more sound-focused seminars available..

Oct 2 - 5,  I think.... beautiful San Francisco this year...

Chances are Apple WILL be there - pushing Logic, etc .... 

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta