working in freezers

Guest Ken Mantlo

Guest Ken Mantlo

Just did a job where we had to film in a huge freezer about the size of two football fields side by each.  Luckily I was able to cable in from the door and could keep the machines outside.  My fear was what if the shooting was so deep in the freezer that I couldn't do that and had to go inside with the machines.  Would I have problems with them functioning?  Also, we would shoot a scene inside the freezer, then, to give the crew a break, they'd shoot a scene outside the freezer, then back inside.  I'm sure the condensation would build up and eventually kill something.

By the way I was using a 208, fostex 824 and pd-6.  The temp was -10 inside.

Anyone with experience with shooting in subzero temp with these machines?

Guest Ken Mantlo

It was a very good move to stay outside if they were moving back and forth. Otherwise you might have had to have two sets of gear. Was this a film shoot?

Philip Perkins

TV show using film. I figured that moving back and forth would be extra bad on the gear so I left the boom mic in the freezer the whole time, fearing condensation problems, while using the 2nd 60 outside.