Zaxcom Patent Discussion

glenn

We have received questions from sound mixers regarding whether or not infringement of our "Recording Transmitter" patents can be avoided by not recording while set to standardized LAV bias voltages or not wearing a recording transmitter and/or not using the transmitter with a lavalier microphone. After conferring with our intellectual property counsel, the answer is no. Our counsel informs us that none of our patent claims specifically require a “lavalier microphone" or "unbalanced input” and/or that the transmitter be “worn.”  Although some of the patent claims require the transmitter to have an “audio input device” or to be “wearable,” other patent claims have no such requirements.

The invention of the recording transmitter and the process of replacing dropouts with time code referenced files recorded in the transmitter is clearly a desirable and unique feature. Zaxcom innovates at great cost and has advanced the state of the art. We take great pride in these inventions and what they can do for our customers every day. The patent system protects our intellectual property and allows us to profit and recover our technological investment in creating the inventions on which we have spent substantial time in order to bring them to our customer base. We thank all customers who respect our right to earn an income from our inventions and protect our intellectual property from any company that seeks to exploit our technology without permission or compensation.

Should anyone have further questions, please feel free to contact us for clarification.

cleardot.gif

Dear Glenn,

as you know, the dream invention is a desirable black box with a magic feature. Such a device doesn't need any patent at all because it's impossible to break and copy.

Only speaking about the "recording transmitter" feature, this invention is exactly the opposite of the black box. This simple genius idea is...desirable for all manufacturers, as you perfectly know and as everyone is able to notice. No doubt that the only way to protect it is the patent option...with predictible troubles only solvable by lawyers. Certainly tricky and expensive.

My question is more a questioning:

You naturally deserve to get the highest  thankfulness regarding intellectual property, for this feature and for all other devices that you designed. Not so simple, I guess, if I refer (for example) to articles of The Economist regarding the Patent Controversy, written in 1850-1875.

Good luck and thank you again for all your work that helps customers in their daily work.

P.Chenevez

Cinela

4 hours ago, cineli said:

the dream invention is a desirable black box with a magic feature. Such a device doesn't need any patent at all because it's impossible to break and copy.

It's also impossible to patent, unless you can describe the steps for making the magic happen in a way that an engineer (and patent examiner) can understand and duplicate. Writing a proper patent is as specialized and demanding a craft as defending one in court. 

(My son, a former audio engineer who became a licensed PE, then a patent agent, and then a lawyer*, is now the go-to guy for electronics and tech in the Boston office of a major IP firm. He has lots of clients in our industry and has described the process to me.

(* I've made only audio engineer money during my career. Fortunately, he got a lot of scholarships... 😉

• 4 weeks later...