Standard Analog Cable for AES signal

Trey LaCroix

Hey there, I know it is not a great idea in theory to run a digital AES signal through an analog cable, but wondering what real world experiences people have when running for short lengths. I have a specific cable I like to use for all of my bag cables and it would just be going out of my receiver to the input of my mixer, so maximum 1ft. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I recently worked on a commercial where the camera was too busy to let me “interface” with them until it was time for some sync sound shots (different call times). They were using an Amira and I had Zaxcom ERX2TCDs for audio/TC hops. It look longer than 30 sec for me to get the audio levels sounding right on the camera so the DP (young owner/operator) suggested just hard lining my 633 outputs as AES using my 25’ beta snake. I’d never done that but we tried it and it worked flawlessly. I was impressed needless to say! I recall other occasions when shooting with an Amira where getting analog levels on the camera was tougher than it needed to be, so this was a happy alternative. 

The editor cut the commercial with the onboard camera sound from my mixer and it aired nationally. Sounded great to me!

I just did the same with my 633 and an Amira a few weeks back. AES over 25’ breakaway. Worked great. Headphone return on the other hand was terrible. Very low level and seemed summed together. I’m sure there’s some way to adjust it but never had time to figure it out.