Deity Theos makes ticking sound w/DPA lav

Matt Sakakeeny

Hi all - I have the new Deity Theos wireless kit and generally find it to be an improvement in every way over my old Sennheiser G3 units. However when I use a DPA 4061 there is a faint but constant ticking sound, in rhythm like a heartbeat. The unit works fine w/2 other mics (Sennheiser MKE2 and Countryman B3) and then the DPA works fine with the Sennheiser wireless. Has anyone encountered this problem? I'm thinking it might be a power issue, but I have the Deity set to provide 5 volts, which DPA says is the minimum required. I can hear the pulsing when I plug headphones directly into the transmitter so it's not being introduced later in the signal chain.

Hi Matt, I talked about this with DPA; They acknowledged to me that this can be an issue due to the BT transmission, for remote control and TC,  the Theos DBTX has, and the less ideal shielding of the 4061. The Wisycom MTP 60 and 61, as well as the Tentacle Track E (both having BT TRX on board) have (sometimes) the same issue with these mics. One of our end users got one 4060 with this issue, and another not. He could send the one causing issues back to DPA for a replacement. 

Interesting! I wish I could just disable the BT + remote stuff and have the problem go away, but that wont fix the problem so I'll reach out to DPA about the shielding issue. Unfortunately I purchased this mic used so I'm not sure what their policy is on repair or replacement. That said, its a gorgeous sounding mic that has stood up to remote work better than any other, so I'd like to work this out. Thanks so much for your insight.