743 stereo cone to nova mrx414

osa

I did a 2x mic stereo 743 car to car rig that worked great in practice but had some squirrelly reception issues to work around. I was able to rig a sharfin antenna to the 743 and transmission was awesome. Curious if anyone here might have run into this as it seems not to be as cut n dry as it should be. 2x 414 modules in my nova. I noticed when setting a 414 module to stereo mode in my nova i had to reboot and follow a weird sequence in order to get it to work and also for a secondary wireless to work in the same module. 

414 no1 - rx1 n rx2 all set to zhd96 and all 4x ch receivers show green = good reception

414 no2 - rx3 set to stereo and rx4 set to zhd96 - receivers show full red like it is trying work, but i have to toggle format on ea between zhd96 and stereo and then go back to setup/slot2 power off n back on to get this 414 module to show green and get good reception when a stereo trx is involved. 

with this config above, i have to repeat this process each time i power off the nova and power back up. Otherwise, 414 no1 shows full 4x green and 414 no2 shows full red until i “burp” the module as mentioned above. It appears turning on stereo reception throws my 414’s into a tizzy. 

in a perfect world i would just love for this to work as intended and be able to fluidly go in and out of these stereo and zhd setups. Like a camera link from a 2nd car bag to my nova car to car on the fly. My work around might have to be an rx200 dedicated to stereo configs in the future. Curious if anyone has history with stereo modes over the years that might help me understand as i recall this being similar with qrx receivers in the past. 

I think it's normal for 414s to need power cycling when switching between ZHD96 and any of the other modes (it's like that on pretty much all the transmitters and receivers I own), though I don't know why it's happening on every power cycle.  I would also update firmware all around.  I think the Nova firmware has improved over time ... I think it used to try and issue commands to the MRX before it was fully booted, which could perhaps cause the modulation change not to "take"?

I did use a similar setup over the weekend receiving Stereo on Rx4 and XR on Rx3 that was working flawlessly for me, so maybe a compromise would be to run XR modulation when you also need stereo?

6 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I think it's normal for 414s to need power cycling when switching between ZHD96 and any of the other modes (it's like that on pretty much all the transmitters and receivers I own), though I don't know why it's happening on every power cycle.  I would also update firmware all around.  I think the Nova firmware has improved over time ... I think it used to try and issue commands to the MRX before it was fully booted, which could perhaps cause the modulation change not to "take"?

I did use a similar setup over the weekend receiving Stereo on Rx4 and XR on Rx3 that was working flawlessly for me, so maybe a compromise would be to run XR modulation when you also need stereo?

The XR makes sense to try since “stereo or xr” is the option for those being in the same family. I will also do an update check and try this all out again