"RED" Demystified

Ron Scelza

Dear All,

Here we go again off to battle with another new camera never seen and will not be seen till the first day of shooting this movie….

Armed with the Name, "RED" --- bringing to mind a dragon eating an entire sound team...

Misinformation abound of software updates and functions, fabled, enabled, disabled, never cabled connectors fused with the nostrils of a fire breathing dragon in wait…

Tough times for finding a Dragon Slayer –

I found one in the Hollywood forest,

Slaughtering superstition and the myth surrounding "RED'S" In's and outs…  Today Robert Kennedy (Coffey Sound) physically confronted "RED". Sticking lemo's, mini XLR's, tri-level sync boxes, Zaxcom stereo adapters, Fusion's, Deva's, Sound Device's and all the rest… Into the body of the beast... 

Robert created a summary of detailed, exact usable parameters and a work flow for us to use.  The Coffey Sound Tech department configured and tested all the connectors for "RED" and with Robert, summarized the pin outs needed for interfacing…

Make no doubt about it. The foremost expert on "RED" … "Dragon Slayer" -- Coffey Sound, "Robert Kennedy"... 

Kudos and a public thank you to Robert, The Tech  department and the guys and girls at Coffey sound for removing fear and superstition, sleighing another fire breathing  dragon all from two thousand miles away...

Sincerely

Ron Scelza C.A.S.

Dear All,

Some very valuable findings on RED are cross posted on RAMPS by Robert Kennedy, Coffey Sound:

One notable finding from Robert is the Mic/Line input...

The labeling on Red's display doesn't display the correct level (+/-). The correct setting for the Zaxcom 900 would be --- Set to Mic level on REd's display"24" ...

Other Notables are: There isn't a 48v phantom supply on the mini xlr inputs, in this software V14.

Jamming the time code is OK but using the Genlock is not… In this version the Gen lock has issues when connected to Denecke Try level sync...

A full report from Robert "Coffey Sound will be posted on the Coffey sound board...

Mon. this week we start: Today I hope to run some tests today:

If you have any questions or need any connectors made... "Check with Coffey"...

Sincerely

Ron Scelza C.A.S.

• 2 months later...

I finally had a Red come to the midwest. The picture is great, can't say the same for the design. Since I was only working as a day player on a multi-day shoot, I had to play by their rules. TC was set at 23.97 for both the camera and the SD 744T they supplied. Was told this was the only way they could keep things in sinc. The tech said they had drifted after two hours, so we jammed a couple of times thru the day. Audio feeding camera had to go in mic level only as line level has been deemed too hot.

Have no idea what the camera levels were set at. Just the first white line of two, so when I could see the level on the monitor just made sure to stay between the two white lines that were hard to see from three feet.

I survived the day, but am glad I had a backup recorder going at the same time. I just would like to know why the audio design seems like an after thought. Small connectors, no scale, no audio output to see except during record and the headphone out sucks. Oh, well life goes on. Guess I'll have to buy more micro xlr to xlr cables.

Scott.