Music Video Playback questions

ProSound

I did my first music video playback yesterday and I want to say it was much more difficult than I thought as we kept changing frame rates so I had to keep swapping tapes. My question for future playback jobs can I use a 744t instead of a PD-4 for playback? What set up do most of you use for playback jobs?

744t  and most file based recorders are really bad choices. You can't drop markers and you can't play at off speed. If you have to start at any point other than the beginning is is really hard to cue up.  I think the Fostex machines allow you to drop markers, but I don't know how easy it is to cue them up for playback.

I use BWF-Widget Pro of course. Sync Playback is one of the reasons I wrote it. It has a large re-sizable TC display and I just use either my laptop screen or an external LCD Video Assist  monitor as a TC slate when doing playback.  It will handle multiple markers or cue points which you can change at any time and even will provide count off beeps before any cue.  A single press of the "C" key re-cues you to your current marker and the space bar starts and stops playback.  The demo is fully functional for 15 days so it is a good way to try it out.  It also does off-speed playback with the corrected time code in a large window.  Download the Manual and read through the playback section.

It will run just fine on any cheap PC laptop that has a sound card.  Many sub $500 laptops from HP work fine.  The audio should be transfered to the Hard drive though to avoid problems with spinning up and down on a CD or DVD or Buffering on a Flash drive.

----Courtney

I did my first music video playback yesterday and I want to say it was much more difficult than I thought as we kept changing frame rates so I had to keep swapping tapes. My question for future playback jobs can I use a 744t instead of a PD-4 for playback? What set up do most of you use for playback jobs?

I just finished a 4 day m-vid job. PB was from an IPod, no tc, no slates. Who was I to tell them they could have saved a ton of money and used a boombox? Not that it matters but the camera was running at 25fps for European tv distribution. A lot of the m-vids I do are CD playback. TC & frame rates don't seem to matter. OTOH when they're shooting video I do send the music to the camera as a reference.

Eric

Eric

Will the program output to a smart slate or do I have to use a LCD to see the tc

If your original had LTC on an audio channel you can feed that to a TC Slate,  But BWF-Widget Pro does not generate it's own LTC time code it just displays the running TC in large numbers on the LCD or an external monitor.  Thereby eliminating the need for the more expensive TC slate.  There are no ports on most laptops that could output time code other than using one of the audio channels, and those are not accessible on an individual basis if the sound card is using them.  If you want workstation playback with LTC time code output you have to jump up to a software and hardware combination that is more like a full Pro-Tools Rig or Nuendo.  Several thousand dollars.

Also, if you are dong off speed playback, the LCD time code will keep up at whatever off speed you choose.  If using LTC your TC slate will probably go wacky if your speed deviated more than about 20%.  It wont work well at all if you pitch correct the playback during off speed.

-----Courtney