teradek bolt sidekick experience anybody?

axel

hi there,

Teradek Bolt has become something like a standard in video transmission from camera to video village here, so I am looking to get some receivers for video monitoring on the sound cart. The idea is to grab the same signal from the camera(s) that is transmitted to video assist anyway. For the ongoing production I could borough a Bolt Pro 300 Rx which is performing quite well if I can stay at a reasonable distance from camera (eg like in the next room). I also found no RF spill from the receiver or HDSDI cable runs into my wireless Lectro Rx, the system is neat and allows me to move freely with my small footprint soundcart.

So I think of buying two bolt sidekick receivers, which are a little smaller and compatible to all Bolt transmittters of the newer generation. Anyone who could gain some experience with those?

10 hours ago, axel said:

So I think of buying two bolt sidekick receivers, which are a little smaller and compatible to all Bolt transmittters of the newer generation. Anyone who could gain some experience with those?

I have found the teradeks quite annoying with their limited penetration and range.  the amount of time lost every day on set,  waiting for the transmitter and receiver to "handshake" is mind boggling.  that being said,  and the expense aside,  my sidekick should arrive this coming week....  I had hoped to have a couple of weeks to play with it on my current job,  before my next job,  but teradek seems overwhelmed at the moment.  if the camera types are bored,  I may get it working soon.  otherwise,  I may not have an answer for you for another 2 weeks or so. 

how is your x3 doing?  

hi Ao,

I guess/hope the sidekicks shouldn't be too difficult to match with the Tx. I did the pairing of the Bolt pro 300  during prep time with the camera guys (they had refused to do it) and they were impressed it took only 10 min (2 attempts) 

If you know about the settings of the Tx it is done easily. If you dont, you have to find out by try and error and this is the time consuming part of it. The computer interface lets you change the settings, but does not show you the current config. 

I would also like to adopt them for my next project, which will start 4 weeks from now. So I'd appreciate if you kept me posted with some first results.

best from Vienna

btw X3 is running smooth, love it. Do you have one?

rereading you post: with our actual configuration there is no time wasted with "handshaking" the Bolt Tx/Rx. It works in the instant. When there is more than one wall in between, they lose connection, but gain it back the instant I enter reception zone. Same when the Tx is powered down and up again. 

the show I am on now,  we often lose connection in the studio - line of sight - with the ominous "searching".  they reboot the transmitter in question and wait for it to re-establish a connection.  we often lose 20min a day waiting.  no one likes to shoot "blind" anymore,  so if we can't see it,  we won't shoot it.  this is with the bolt300 system.  there may very well be some strong interference in the air,  but no one has the skill or gear to troubleshoot.  on some sets,  the d.m.t. person takes it upon themselves to sort out these issues. 

I also have an x3 and am some 70+ days into a series, using it.  night and day experience compared to the x1.  having a great time with it.  

i find waiting for wireless connections really annoying too.
one has to admit though that the teradeck sends about 100-240MB/sec of data (with 1ms latency) while with uncompressed 48/24 audio one only has to deal with about 1MB/sec.. i find it quite impressive that it works at all.