DVD-RAM Labels

Matt

This isn't exactly an "equipment" question, but seems to be important.

How do you label your DVD-RAM or DVD-R discs?  Do you use a Sharpie and write on the disc, or do you only use discs with the white surface for printing?  There isn't a DVD-RAM disc with the white printing surface, so I'm wondering if it is safe to write on it with a standard sharpie.  I'd heard that CD-R's don't like this and that the ink will eat through the disc eventually.  Maybe it is all a myth, but thought I'd throw it out there.  Would using sticky labels on DVD-RAMs be a bad idea?

Thanks,

Matt Hamilton

DO NOT USE STICKY LABELS ON DVD-RAMS, or any DVD that you expect to be read by a Fostex machine or an Aaton InDaw (those two cover almost all film telecine situations today).  My luck with labelled DVDs in that equipment is exactly zero--they never worked. I write with a marker on the DVD and include a report in a box that has an info sheet on the cover.  DVD-Rs that are destined to be read by computers can be labelled--I've done hundreds and hundreds of those (Avery) w/o any problem at all.  One of those special DVD/CD markers is a good idea but I never seem to have one when I need it and have used regular Sharpies w/o problems so far.

Philip Perkins

Would using sticky labels on DVD-RAMs be a bad idea?

Thanks,

Matt Hamilton

Sticky labels are definitely a BAD IDEA! This has been discussed at great length, here and elsewhere, and the general consensus is that using any label that is stuck to the surface of the disk should not be used. I know there are those of us who have done this for years without incident but if you listen to anyone who has had the bad experience with this practice you will not want to do it. I have never stuck anything on the disk itself but I have had nasty experiences with other optical disks where labels have gotten the disks stuck and so forth.

I label everything else with all the necessary info but I do nothing more than put the "roll number" and date on the face of the disk with a Shaprie. I used to use special markers, supposedly designed for use on optical disks, but now I just use a regular Sharpie. All of the studies that indicate that normal marking pens can eat through the optical disk state that this takes quite a long time to occur. My theory is that the DVD-RAM disk is really a fairly unnecessary archive for any substantial period of time after the production since there will be many, many copies of the same material. One extra caution I do is that I write nothing on the disk until after I have ejected it from the drive. I do not want any un-dried ink to rub off while inserting the disk, possibly marking a new disk and causing it to be written to unreliably. Also, there is the chance that the little bit of info I do put on the disk could get smeared and be un-readable.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I had a rubber stamp made with the critical information - Roll#/Show/Date.  I pre-stamp a handful of these at a time, using "shopping bag ink" which dries instantly, and I mean INSTANTLY, and does not smear.  Then I use a standard Sharpie.  I feel that other information can be found on the report or on the tone file.

While I have heard of some issue writing on the media before insertion, I have not experienced any issue - yet - and since it is already stamped, I usually write on it first and give it a few seconds to dry before sliding it in the burner.

Robert

post-485-130815080871_thumb.jpg

It's "JustRite Grocery Marking Ink" I bought it from the same guy that made me the stamp.  We tried a couple of different inks.  He was reluctant to use this one, because it does dry so fast, but it really worked so well.  Just don't spill it!!  There's probably a rubber stamp guy in your neighborhood, but if not you can usually find them on line too.

Robert