Sony f35 shoot

bperlman

I've got a Sony F35 shoot tomorrow and because of the nature of the shoot there won't be a DIT on board.  Also, neither the producer or the editor can offer spec specifics (say that fast ten times).

I've looked through the camera manual and can find no info about whether the camera can be T/C jammed so I'm planning to cross jam from my 788T with a Lockit Box attached to the camera.  I suspect that will cover the sync issues. but what about setting audio levels in the camera?  Can anybody offer any caveats, suggestions or advice about recording to this camera?  Obviously, I'll also be recording to my 788T.

Thanks,

Bruce

Inputs 1+2 analog are on the onboard deck, normal video cam inputs/levels etc..  Levels are set in software-menus, which is how meters are brought up on the video outputs.  TC ops the same as other Sony cameras--ie if the TC is set correctly on  your Lockit the cam will automatically jam to the ext TC and lock to the ext TriLevel sync.

Philip Perkins

The Sony F35 does not have a recorder so you need to find out what they are recording to. Most likely they be using a Sony SRW-1 which has all the standard connections you will need. Just treat it like any other video camera shoot.

With no DIT and no DIT cart there's a very good chance that the SRW1 deck will be mounted on the camera, mag-style.  The downside of this is that now the noise from the deck is right on the set instead of back in a DIT tent.

Philip Perkins

I worked on some regional commercials shot on this camera.  The producers wanted to use only camera audio.  I rolled a Deva but they still used only the camera audio.  Overall, it sounded okay.

We were shooting on a warm stage.  They tried recording with the deck docked on the camera and it kept shutting down from the heat.  They then tried it mounted remotely but had some issues there and went back to the docked setup.  To keep it from shutting down constantly, they then ran the camera fan on low while we were shooting and every so often we'd stop shooting and cool the stage down. 

Yes, the camera fan noise was definitely noticeable.

The menu takes a bit of getting used to but once set up, it works fine.  Give yourself plenty of time to get your settings dialed in.  A good DIT helps there.

John B.