Bizarre Email

I received, as well as many others in our market, a bizarre email(at least to me) asking for submissions of resumes to their company for future films being shot in our market. It seems like a very normal request, except at the end they have the following...

"In addition provide union status and access to links for reels and if available references.  Due to the financial structure in place no phone calls will be accepted (thus no number provided) all communication will be done via this email only, until we move to the next stage of hiring.  No law firm will accept calls on our behalf.  Any party calling any law firm seeking information on the production group or for additional information about the production group will be removed from consideration. As always, all parties are welcome to consult with their own attorney at any time, just do not go fishing for information not needed. We will provided the candidates chosen with more information and obviously once hired all information will be provided. "

Is this a normal way of operating, for hiring crew, that I am unaware of?

Sent by Troy Dumas, addressed to "Mixer and Location Sound Recordists", "Location Boom Operators and Sound Assistants", which is directly from our online sourcebook for Atlanta, www.ozonline.tv

Good Afternoon,

I am writing on behalf of a production group in Los Angeles who is ready to bring a slate of films to shoot in Georgia if the tax credit situation remains favorable and financing opportunities remain enthusiastic.  This group will be making a slate of 4 films (in the first run) ranging in budgets from $1,000,000 to $8,000,000 the slate will be made concurrent (back to back).  All crews will be working for up to 32 weeks between the four (4) productions to include both pre-production, production and post production. There will be an approximate one (1) to two (2) weeks between productions depending on schedules.  All crews will be local hires in this group.

Due to the nature of the production group their name cannot be revealed at this time.  But several of the films are registered with the film commission, have tax credit buyers in place and a post production house has already been signed on for this.  All of which is located in Georgia.  In addition the production group is represented by the largest firm of Atlanta Georgia.

Should you wish to submit your resume or have additional questions please respond to this email.

Within your resume submission please submit your rates in the following categories

UNION    :    Day Rates                        Non-Union    Day Rates

Weekly Rates                                Weekly Rates

MONTHLY Rates                            MONTHLY Rates

Quarterly Rates                                Quarterly Rates

In addition provide union status and access to links for reels and if available references.  Due to the financial structure in place no phone calls will be accepted (thus no number provided) all communication will be done via this email only, until we move to the next stage of hiring.  No law firm will accept calls on our behalf.  Any party calling any law firm seeking information on the production group or for additional information about the production group will be removed from consideration. As always, all parties are welcome to consult with their own attorney at any time, just do not go fishing for information not needed. We will provided the candidates chosen with more information and obviously once hired all information will be provided.

Start dates will be discussed once rates are determined. 

We hope to see all of you please submit for this project.

Shoots will be on a Red One

Resumes are accepted until March 30, 2010 at 5pm PST

this stands out:

" But several of the films are registered with the film commission, have tax credit buyers in place and a post production house has already been signed on for this. "

check with the film commission(s) and see what they can tell you...

if an LA based group has already signed on a "local post production house", then perhaps they have been in contact with several of the local suspects, and one or more of them might have information, or at least vouch for this outfit if they believe they are "real" ...

whatever it is, or is not, their methodology for ramping up is unconventional, and your suspicions seem well justified.

for one glaring example: union rates are set, so any experienced production would not ask individuals to submit "their union rates". If they have union contracts, thecunions would know who they are (Teamsters, SAG, IA) and without knowing your local tax credit terms, what are "tax credit buyers" ??

" In addition the production group is represented by the largest firm of Atlanta Georgia. "

???

does he mean law firm??   as he later warns you not to contact any law firm to authenticate this...???

there are some other phrases and grammar that cast doubt on the professional status of this communication.

BUT: " Shoots will be on a Red One "

I think my response would be along the lines of replying: 'I do production sound, and I'd be interested in learning more, please get back to me when you are free to exchange further information.'

I recall the name, Troy Dumas, coming up in a similar rash of emails recently.  Can't remember if that was legit.

If I were you, and are a member of the union there, I'd wait for them to call you.  From what I understand it's VERY busy in Georgia, and there aren't many mixers, so they'll probably come "knocking" when they actually have these films in place.

Robert

That's my feeling, too, Robert. I just don't get what they gain from an email like this if it is a scam of some sort. They are not asking for information that can be used against me(except for an underbid on rates). Seems odd. Perhaps this is a way for them to budget properly. Find out the rates and try to fit it in.

for one glaring example: union rates are set, so any experienced production would not ask individuals to submit "their union rates".

Union rates are not set, rates specified in all of the contracts are minimums. Members are free to negotiate with production for above scale rates.

But there are a lot of red flags in the message Michael reposted. Like the difference between concurrent and consecutive. Like the concept of either monthly and/or quarterly rates. Like the short time frame provided for submission of resumes. And the threat of being excluded from consideration if you dare to look into the legitimacy of the sender, most particularly.

Best regards,

Jim

Michael, et al...

I received this twice as well.  And, yes, it is bizarre.

For starters, I don't believe that this is due to how busy it is perceived to be here in this area...  it just happens that this week there was an extremely unusual shortage, for the first time ever in this market.  In addition to the two short pilots, three series (one is a long-running Tyler Perry show), and the one movie, the commercial market "woke up" with unprecedented fervor, after a couple of months of sheer emptiness... it might well return to normal in a short matter of time...

I believe this spammer is on a rate hunt.... the email addresses were either bought from our state-sanctioned, but private enterprise, listing service, or painstakingly gleaned off that website.  Perhaps the message is specific to audio, but I am expecting other crafts might have been contacted, and am investigating that with my camera, grip and electric, and makeup  friends.

For starters, I would NEVER respond to stuff like this -- random emails don't attract me at all, and putting rates in a response to them is only going to get such entities to lowball the next guy/girl in the rate-quest chain - 50 or 25 bucks, whatever. 

PLUS - those numbers are going to stick with you... you can be held to them, and they can be passed on for a long time... and good luck on getting an increase should you upgrade anything...

Granted, this is presented as feature stuff - but I adopted my stance to e-booking

regarding commercial / corporate work long ago - if you can't take a moment to TALK to me now, then I wonder what the collection process will be like when one considers the most ridiculous part of this business - unusual terms of whenever-you-want-to pay credit...

Such e-booking attempts are humorous to me - I mean, really, should we take out everything "personal" regarding this business?? 

if you are booking crew based primarily on price, without consideration of what experience and presentation can bring to the table,  and without so much as a phone call, I'm certainly not interested in working for you, and am confident that the conditions will be impersonal, sketchy, and abusive.  (Bring my own water???)

However, newbies might well address this stuff not knowing how wrong it is...

especially asking you if you are union or not in the first contact, which I believe is 100% illegal.

Michael Filosa, CAS

Atlanta, GA

Bidding on a "long-term" or "bulk" contract is dangerous.  It can be used to create a substandard daily rate.  So it is wise to be careful.

As I remember it, a few years ago, one major studio took a bid from a vendor for providing ALL gear for ALL TV shows, then divided that number for a day-rate and created a corporate mandate that the maximum rate payable to a sound mixer for gear would be $350/day.

The intent of the bid was fair, in my mind, but it was bastardized by the bean counters and turned into a policy that was harmful to the bottom line of mixers working for that studio, especially on shorter jobs where the equipment rates are usually higher.

Robert

" Union rates are not set, "

while union rates are minimums, in the context of the correspondence in question, asking for their submission is outv of place, as any production would be aware of what union minimum rates would apply, and on low budget union projects, the minimums are usually the going rates...

the request for these rates is a clear red flag!

Perhaps the message is specific to audio, but I am expecting other crafts might have been contacted, and am investigating that with my camera, grip and electric, and makeup  friends.

This has been sent to pretty much everyone listed in our guide. I've heard UPM's script sups, and props all getting the same email, and all listed.