waterproof Tx & lavs with salty water

jimmycat

I own a Lectrosonics MM400C with Countryman EMW, and never thought of using them in salty water. My coming project consists of a scene with two characters talking in the sea. It's scripted, and the director says he won't let the actors go too offshore. Once the sea level reaches their waists, the director's going to call a cut. So I'm considering to take a risk to mic them up. However, if some accident happens, e.g. a sudden wave, and the lav gets soaked, what measures should I take to reduce the salt damage as much as possible? Thanks.

Aquapac for the Tx if you don't trust the Lectro waterproofing / want a second layer of protection.  Soak everything in distilled water immediate after de-rigging to ensure salt is washed off and doesn't dry in place.

You'll lose all RF if the Tx gets submerged, so keep it high on the body.

You could also use an antenna extension like this https://www.lectrosonics.com/accessory-links/product/acoaxtx-specify-block.html or make your own. I think Gordon Moore has a video showing how to make. If you run the antenna up higher to shoulders/back of the neck and hide it in the top of the clothing, then when the director keeps shooting as the tx gets submerged. You should still have signal...

I'd be soaking it with distilled water before you unplug anything/battery change etc.

It's scripted, and the director says he won't let the actors go too offshore. Once the sea level reaches their waists, the director's going to call a cut."

I wouldn't trust that will happen... but that could be just me :)