Experience with Schoeps MSTC 74?

flohma

Flohma, did you ever try a Neumann RSM191? Those have been built exactly for you (Journalists), they have the most convincing stereo image for my ears, they are a little less bulky than an ORTF setup and the signal ends up as mid-side or xy. You have to look for a used one, because Neumann dropped production several years ago, but I have not found any stereo setup that comes so close to a natural hearing image.

16 hours ago, axel said:

... they have the most convincing stereo image for my ears,

they are a little less bulky than an ORTF setup

and the signal ends up as mid-side or xy.

The first point is fine, the second unarguable, but the third ... it ends up as either M-S or decoded X-Y from an M-S source. So with an original question of the usefulness of a tool for recording specifically ORTF stereo one is recommending recording mid-side instead (with an admittedly nice M-S mic). Regardless of intention it ain't going to sound like an ORTF stereo image.

Jez

On 3/15/2024 at 5:08 PM, petersont said:

Staying with Schoeps ( there ARE other excellent miniature cardioid options, some costing far less $...) this offers identical sound with the flexibility to use your investment in many other ways...  with zero loss of acoustic quality, choose the CMC 1L amp + MK4 capsule  vs the CCM4 one piece. 

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 12.01.35 PM.png

I managed to get my hands on this setup. well nearly: this one is with the active cables and MK4 but similar enough to your suggestion with CMC 1L. It‘s almost as sleek as the MSTC and very solid, but obviously you have two cables dangling down rather than just one. I‘m not sure yet which I prefer… 

IMG_2524.jpeg

Just now, flohma said:

I managed to get my hands on this setup. well nearly: this one is with the active cables and MK4 but similar enough to your suggestion with CMC 1L. It‘s almost as sleek as the MSTC and very solid, but obviously you have two cables dangling down rather than just one. I‘m not sure yet which I prefer… 

IMG_2524.jpeg

I wonder whether the two lemo cables could be „joined“ into a 5 pin XLR cable after 10 inches or so. Kind of the opposite to the splitter cable of the MSTC. 

Thanks for the photo! Schoeps MSTC 74 have one connector for which to use standard Y-cable. In fact, this Y cable is used by a number of stereo microphones! If you have more of them, you have a cable for several cases.

Let me give an example: Shure vp88