LECTROSONICS D4 GAIN STAGING

Twade

A few reports from users in the field on odd gain staging from the d4 into camera.

Line level too quiet

mic level too hot

aes lines up quite nicely

any thoughts? opinions? suggestions?

I recently purchased a D-4 and at first I was thinking the gain structure was odd as well, but I just wasn't using it correctly. I had set it up for the first camera I used it on (an HPX 170 line in), and then when I went to a larger camera the levels were way too low for line in as I was feeding the 170. Well I had forgotten that that there are level adjustments on both the transmitter and the receiver. I'm going into a full size camera right now and I have the receiver all the way up at +8, and I have the tranmitter at -9. On the 170 I think my settings where -20 on the transmitter and +8 on the receiver. You just have to come up with the right combination on the tx and rx to get the level that you want for the particular camera you're using. I'm pretty certain there is enough latitude to come up with a level that would work on any of the cameras you might encounter.

I'd say read the manual (its available on line), experiment until you have a level you like, and then do a talk test into a mic and listen to the camera and make sure the signal is clean and the peaks aren't distorting. Lectro has phenominal customer service too so a call to them if you're still having issues is always a good idea.

Best,

Bernie

I'm going into a full size camera right now and I have the receiver all the way up at +8, and I have the tranmitter at -9. On the 170 I think my settings where -20 on the transmitter and +8 on the receiver. You just have to come up with the right combination on the tx and rx to get the level that you want for the particular camera you're using.

Yep, I've run into the same thing a few times. I think the numbers are nominal values, and as long as -20dBfs out of the receiver comes up at a mid-level point on the camera level meter, it works OK. I haven't had any issues with clipping or complaints about low levels with the D4. The suckers get pretty hot in use, and I've had some complaints from camera operators about the D4R's odd size, but we've worked it out.

--Marc W.