Info On Cologne, Germany?

OmahaAudio

Omg, you have to see the Dome of course.me and my wife went By train from Stockholm to Nice, so we stopped in Cologne for just a couple of hours. We couldnt wander too far from the station and it was a late hour too, but we got to see the Dome... And i was just blown away by it. Totally awesome.

Always wanted to go back and get a look inside, never had the time.

Hope you have a good time in Germany! :)

Yeah, the Dome. Also, the Padlock Bridge (bring a spare to add!). Its near the Concert Hall. Fun fact, you cannot walk heavily, skate or bike over a large area of public forecourt while the opera or concert hall is in use, as they dont want the vibrations travelling through. I was there during the festive season so spent a lot of time at the Christmas markets.

Beautiful.

Used to live there for about 7 years... can recommend the art museums: Wallraf-Richartz-Museum, Museum Ludwig. The city itself only has a few beautiful spots, because after the war it looked like this:

19420530_angriff_koeln_003.jpg

The weather is always terrible, even with sunshine - because it's kind of smoggy. The cultural possibilities are great, though. People are pretty nice in general.

General info, tourist site in English:

http://www.cologne.de/

Online Mag with all concerts and other events (one-stop ressource):

http://www.stadtrevue.de/

One of my favorite places in Cologne was Café Storch (in the Aachener Strasse), kind of a small "mom & pop free jazz pub". But I haven't been there long time - don't sue me if it has turned into a hipster place. Enjoy your stay!

Have a "Kölsch", that's a light beer which is served in 0.2 litre glasses and brewed in Cologne only. If your glass is empty the waiter will give you a new one without asking ...

The city centre is full of nice and crowded taverns. Folks are very open and gentle.

Take your time. You can not rush through this place. Slowly, walk through the magnificent cathedral, looking up at the beautiful lines of the spires as they blend into each other. Every place you stand in the interior of the cathedral will show a different picture.... give you a different feeling. No photograph or motion picture will ever give you the beauty of that great structure. You don't have to have any religious affiliation to appreciate this place. Only your personal walk will give you the spectacular feeling, the brilliant vision of truly great architecture. Your memories of this place will last forever. ....Ok, ok,.... I was knocked out when I first experienced the cathedral twenty five years ago. But to this day, I can never get over the tremendous impact it had on me. And no, I did not have any Kirschwasser before the walk. I was totally sober.

Ciao, Sully