Microphones and Tattoo Machines

Marc Hoppe

I've been working on a tattoo cover up show and have been running into some issues with some of the tattoo machines and my wireless lavs.

Some of the tattoo machines use magnets to drive the needles, and every time they are engaged, my mics sound like they are crushing the limiter, and the audio is rendered unusable. This happens to varying degrees on my COS11D's, Trams, and OSTs.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. Could this Magnetic interference be causing any damage to my mics, and

2. Is there any thing I can do to reduce or eliminate this interference?

Thanks.

Marc Hoppe

it may not be the magnets causing the issue but the frequency in the sound that the guns are making that are peaking the mics/transmitters. my wife was watching some episodes of LA Ink and i noticed some hard hits on the mics from the guns. but then again, could be magnetic interference, freakin science...

Thanks- I looked at that, but I'm fairly certain it's the magnets. I've looked at the rf signal strength as well as the input level on the 411a receivers as it was happening and there was no change in the rf and the audio level was well within range. It's not engaging the limiters, but that's the closest sound I can compare it to.

One of the tattoo artists explained how the machines work, and there are several different types. The only one that gives me problems is the one that is driven by electromagnets. The other types are run by coils and and motors.

I'll try to post a file as an example in the next day or so- I'm on the gig now.

Thanks.

Marc

Marc, what receiver are you using? What board version and firmware version? After speaking with Lectro, it seems this issue is related to the receiver and not transmitter. If you are using UCR411 and have board version 4.xx , you may need to send in to Lectro for update. In the meantime, try bypassing the pilot tone and see if the issue goes away. But then watch out for white noise blasts when you lose range.

Thanks, I missed that when I looked earlier. The other (coil and motor driven) machines don't affect my mics, so I have it narrowed down to the electromagnetic ones. I can cover the sections where the artist is using the electromagnetic machine with a boom- the machine is pretty loud though, but it is what it is.

I am using 411a's, 2 of them have 4.1/5.1, one has 4.5/5.1. My transmitters are SMv and SMQv. It happens with all 3 systems.

I'll try bypassing the pilot and see what happens.

Thanks.

Marc

I wonder if a hard-wired dynamic might work? Or even a hard-wired condensor, possibly as a plant mic? This could well be a wireless/limiter issue.

And just as an update: we just did a commercial shoot that had a short segment in a tattoo parlor. We ran into some weird interference on Block 21 when the tattoo needle was turned on, but it did not affect the Block 19 transmitter.

The tattoo parlor had some of the most... "interesting" smells I've encountered. Kind of like "wet dog + turpentine." Not pleasant.