Ergonomic positioning for your mixer?

jgbsound

So I just picked up a projectmix i/o for my studio and was wondering how others place their mixer in the perfect position so that they have easy access to the faders, buttons, and such.

Any suggestions/pictures?

I was thinking about an articulated arm or something that can swing in and out but I wondered how practical that might or might not be, soooo, I turned to the forum to see what others did to make it work better for themselves?

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated!

John

(jgbsound)

Oh and happy holidays to all!

Thanks Jay. You're right about that.

After posting I began thinking that I need to stop using my computer as a multi-purpose productivity center and really dedicate it to mixing as the vast majority of my projects are audio related now. DOH! Thanks for the pict. I'm going to mimic your setup I suspect.

I actually had a client want to hear his mix on those Auratones, a couple of weeks ago!

I told him "No, you don't. You want to hear it on ONE Auratone, mono mix, at a low level."

Which he saw the sense of, had me do, and promptly bought the mix.

--

I think that's the first time I had those cubes turned on in about six years, other than once when I was testing digital gear that I was worried about in terms of runaway very high freq, and I used the Auratones so as not to risk blowing out my mains.

Thanks Tom. I actually was kinda headed that way with the whole thing. My current mixing desk is a prebuilt workstation desk, two-tiered system with a longer board stretched across the upper section in order to accomodate the L/R/C monitors (two screens too).

All I need, I think, is a slide out articulated keyboard to get the computer keyboard off the desk and swing the mixer into place. Pretty simple.

The rest of the gear is rack mounted off to the side, so I think it may work out swimmingly. Thanks everyone for helping me think this through!

In any town with some corporate presence there are used office furniture dealers, esp re chairs etc.. For the actual work surface many people end of rolling their own. The ideal mixer height is, I think, kind of low so that your shoulders are relaxed and your forearms are parallel to the floor--ie you aren't holding up your arms to move the faders. Just like with sound carts, accommodating the keybd and mouse is always the issue. Like Mr. Rose, I like having the "working" monitors (DAW) positioned so I'm not looking up at them (ie sort of at the height of the backplane or meter bridge of the mixer), then the pix monitor higher up, where everyone can see it.

philp

On the first big post job I did I started to get some serious OOS, wrist and shoulder strain and tension headaches, I started really suffering. A person on the team wandered past one day and said 'dude you should drop your desk down' - I didn't even know it could do that. It was a matter of dropping the desk about 30mm and lifting my chair maybe 30mm and my whole posture changed - the strain issues pretty much totally disappeared. I was really suprised how much seemingly small position corrections made to my comfort.

In regards to furniture:

I hade the "JERKER" (yes, I know, odd name) desk from IKEA when I had my pro-tools rig. I don't know if they still carry it. It's big but it was perfect. It had a deep desk that had plenty of room for two monitors and a control surface (although I never used one). It had all kinds of add on options, like arms that would attach to the side that could hold my speakers, a slide out keyboard tray, extra shelves...the whole works. The only bummer is that assembling it was a pain (and I've put together LOTS of IKEA furniture over the years) and the desk is wide enough that it won't fit through normal doors so you have to partway disassemble it if you need to move it from one room to another, but man, the thing was perfect for about $175.