new multi-track recorder (not portable)

soundtrane

I've used the Radars quite a bit, although admittedly not in many years. As they are really a high-end studio esoteric piece of kit, most studios don't bother. These decks go for around 10K for a 24 track. They are mostly used by soundies that have to move to digital from 2", and hate Pro Tools for whatever B.S. reason they have (mostly they don't want to learn it).

They can be portable, in a rack case and whatnot. However, they are destined to be truck bound for that use as they are stupid-heavy. They took two of us groaning everytime we had to move them.

I'm hoping that they finally got away from the Be-OS that they were using. Nothing like a dead company's operating system for trouble shooting. Wow. QNiX is a dream by comparison. The ones I have used require an FTP connection to transfer files other than the removable bays that they sell. Which are expensive, as one could imagine.

Sound quality is what makes them what they are. Don't expect to edit much more than you can on tape; save the fact that you can do tape like edits on individual tracks. But no grids, no crossfades other than the default to avoid clicks, and then you need an analogue desk to deal with it. Why not a spiffy digital desk you ask? Because why the F@*k would you use a radar on anything but a pristine SSL or Neve? Not worth the bother.

If I was recording an orchestra, with unlimited $$$, I would gang several Radars and record at 192K. These things sound unreal at that rate. For my mics I would grab...fantasy session over. Back to work.