Union Monitoring

Do unions monitor jobs with admitting new members? For example do they see how many union members were gainfully employed and base how many are leaving for retirement or etc on admitting new members or do they just admit anyone who has the credits and the money. At a certain point if they did that it would seem that a certain amount of people wouldn't be working in relation to jobs that are available. These forums have definitely hit hard that the union does not find or guarantee work, but if a lot of jobs start leaving using the union (indy) or w/e but the union keeps admitting more people isn't this a problem. I'm sure there is something in place to question this...I hope/guess.

I am not an union guy, and I hope any union guys correct me here, but I think the ease and how you get in depends on your local chapter. I have heard LA is just dues and paperwork, but where I live, In Chicago, you also have to be voted in.

Long time ago 1990's when I lived in Chicago I tried to join 476 the local there. They told me that they weren't admitting any new sound mixers since there wasn't enough work for their current members. Perhaps things have changed there. 

Now fast forward to this month when I met the BA for 477 here in Florida and inquired about the advantages of joining and he said it's not worth the expense since there isn't enough union work to justify joining and Florida is a "right to work" state. 

Eric

Eric, where in Florida do you work? I have been working in Lakeland for the last week. It has been a nice break from Chicago, but I wrap tomorrow.

I live in the Ft.Lauderdale area and work mostly from Palm Beach (40miles north) down to Miami (40 miles souh). Lakeland is about 200 miles NW of me.

Eric

" Anyone know about IATSE? "

of course...

call your neighborhood local, or at least visit their web site.

the Hollywood Sound Local (jurisdiction LA County) is 695.com

Don't forget your money, and a lot of it... to get the ball rolling... Then be prepared to continue to pay...  @ $900 a year until your dead.. :

" Anyone know about IATSE? "

of course...

call your neighborhood local, or at least visit their web site.

the Hollywood Sound Local (jurisdiction LA County) is 695.com

Don't forget your money, and a lot of it... to get the ball rolling... Then be prepared to continue to pay...  @ $900 a year until your dead.. :

...although to be fair, you might want to also factor in how much you get back... like among other things, the potential for higher wages and health insurance for the whole family and a monthly pension until you're dead.

• 2 weeks later...

IATSE 479 is really hard to get into.
You have to have the ability to fog a mirror, write a check, fill out a 3% form, and lie without blinking about how long you have lived here.

If you can manage all those tasks (not necessarily at once though) you can be a cardholder.