Doom and Gloom.

Richard Ragon

Not sure if anyone saw this Article in the LA times?

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-workers28apr28,1,6764360.story

Something is quite wrong in a lot of the FACTS of this article.  For example the lady, Karen Hartjen.  If you do an IMDB search on her, it doesn't appear that she has any credits after 2004.  And if you look on IMDB, it doesn't even appear that shes ever worked on CSI:NY at all! 

The article goes on to read that a guy by the name of Phillip Gordon lost his job on the set of StarTrek.. What the heck does this have to do with the WGA strike??

I'm no journalist, but I was on two sets yesterday in downtown, and many of the sound people were saying that work has picked up a lot this month.

It seams a little bit like someone at the Times is not being truthfull for whatever reason, and I draw a very large red flag on any article that can't get facts straight.  But, yes, I'm sure that the linering effects of the strike has workers in a hole still, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with our industry. It's a squeeze with all industries in the US. Combine this with the fact thats its a Times article, which is known to be proven inaccurate, or a slant on it of some way. The Times is one of the worst papers ever created, and they have a very long history of distortion.  So, I'm not sure what bias they are trying to swing here..

-Richard

It seams a little bit like someone at the Times is not being truthfull for whatever reason, and I draw a very large red flag on any article that can't get facts straight.

-Richard

I had several meetings with Richard Verrier, the author of this article, and he is a really good guy. I am surprised that he got a lot of the facts wrong. He is one of the better journalists with the Times (I agree with you, generally an awful newspaper) and his politics are in the right place (or should I say "left"place since he is a pretty liberal guy). He has written some very insightful articles on labor, specifically in the entertainment business, and he is writing a book about Tom Short (not a flattering picture I can assure you).

When I read the article my reaction (without even thinking about possible inaccuracies) was that the Times wanted an article now to setup their desired polarization of the parties involved in the SAG negotiations --- how can the actors even think of striking when we see again how "devastating" the WGA strike was to all of us.

It is my firm belief that if management has no fear of a strike (that actually affects their abilities to produce the product) we do not really have any organizations that can legitimately be called labor unions in this country. It is already painfully clear that our labor union, the I.A.T.S.E. does not represent our interests and would never consider striking (or even supporting any other union's labor action) and our leader's concept of negotiating is to meet behind closed doors (and it is a meeting of business partners) with management and figure out how bad a contract can be had and still keep the members paying dues).

There is much more to be said about this but I will leave the subject now --- and hope that the very real threat by SAG will result in good reasonable contract, no strike, and this will benefit us all.

-  Jeff Wexler

I also read that article, and while I wondered about Philip Gordon losing his gig on ST-11 being related to the strike (did they have to shut down for rewrites, or something?? anything??) I didn't go so far as to research the veracity of the other industry workers he interviewed. While it is possible Karen Hartjen may have had a name change (marriage?), or some other reason for that (maybe uncredited work on 2nd units?) I suspect that the article was more as JW described, and that perhaps the only inaccuracies may be attributed to the writer simply believing the folks he interviewed, something I feel probably was appropriate for that particular story, it wasn't a government sex scandle, after all.

and don't get me started on the IATSE and Mr. Short, and...

never mind!

The IMDB is almost completely self-reported. Newer shows send a credit list, but anything from before the late 90s won't show up unless you send it in yourself. TV credits are usually flaky; a lot of people don't make it into the on-screen credits and therefore don't show up in the IMDB.

I noticed the same thing about the ST 11 credit. They pulled the plug on that film because of script problems and announced a release about a year later. However, it's possible the WGA strike was part of the reason it was pushed back, but was never publicly admitted by any parties involved.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys ( and Gals)

I am Karen H... I have never added anything to the internet movie data base... It seems it catches what it wants. I have been in this industry since 1987, and have worked on hundreds of films that are not mentioned on IMDB

Don't be so quick to judge. Richard was right on in his article. There are hundreds of families destroyed by the writers strike.  They have lost homes, and it has destroyed marriages and relationships. Many have stories that make mine look like a 'walk in the park' .

It is good news to hear that some of you weren't devastated. Film On!

Peace,

Karen/b]

I am Karen H. I have been in this industry since 1987. Please see my post. I have never posted on IMDB. They seem to do so on their own. Hundreds of my credits are absent.

Not sure if anyone saw this Article in the LA times?

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-workers28apr28,1,6764360.story

Something is quite wrong in a lot of the FACTS of this article.  For example the lady, Karen Hartjen.  If you do an IMDB search on her, it doesn't appear that she has any credits after 2004.  And if you look on IMDB, it doesn't even appear that shes ever worked on CSI:NY at all! 

The article goes on to read that a guy by the name of Phillip Gordon lost his job on the set of StarTrek.. What the heck does this have to do with the WGA strike??

I'm no journalist, but I was on two sets yesterday in downtown, and many of the sound people were saying that work has picked up a lot this month.

It seams a little bit like someone at the Times is not being truthfull for whatever reason, and I draw a very large red flag on any article that can't get facts straight.  But, yes, I'm sure that the linering effects of the strike has workers in a hole still, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with our industry. It's a squeeze with all industries in the US. Combine this with the fact thats its a Times article, which is known to be proven inaccurate, or a slant on it of some way. The Times is one of the worst papers ever created, and they have a very long history of distortion.  So, I'm not sure what bias they are trying to swing here..

-Richard

It is amazing how much does get onto IMDB that is correct for the most part, but also amazing how much does not get there without some personal involvement. I have had to add and correct probably 10 or 15 different entries in IMDB over the years. This is not an all together easy process and the IMDB people do some follow up investigative research (I believe) before they validate or authenticate the changes that you submit. For the most part they have always honored any of my submissions to add or change entries associated with my name. You might look into submitting the additional credits that you know are missing.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

An update on the SAG strike: Variety reports at this link

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117987790.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=SAG

that SAG has to get a 75% majority to approve a strike vote. If I read this correctly, that's over 75,000 members. Given that 44,000 AFTRA members voted for essentially the same contract, my gut feeling is they won't be able to get a majority.

I suspect what will happen is that a big percentage of SAG will want to strike, but not enough to make it to 75%. I think this will split the union into two different factions and result in a lot of uneasy political problems, but not a strike.

(I feel like Charles Foster Kane: "Don't worry, gentlemen -- there'll be no war."  (Uh-oh.)

--Marc

I tried 2 weeks ago to update my IMDB profile cause, a) I just found out I could. B) I want some of my favorite experiences listed. Two films I did with Jeff n Don, '9 to 5' and 'Officer n Gentelman' don't show still. Oh well I will always have 'Flashdance'. Oh thats right, it doesn't show up as well.

CrewC

PS Karen, when you get a chance, or feel like it, post a little in 'Who I am today'. We need to hear from the many women in the craft(s). Jeff Joint is too sound jock centric IMO....