Gear for boom op

asterix2k10

I am outfitting my boom op with gear so he can monitor the boom through headphones. I have chosen to just get a Sound Devices HX-3, which I am putting in a Porta Brace MX-24 bag. I send them an XLR out of the TA3 output so I can send pre or post fader output of just the boom (from my 664.) They would wear the bag around their neck (or can it be worn on a belt?)

I felt I didn't really need communication via headset mic since I will be probably be fairly close to the boom-op for the shoots I will be doing.

So I went this route. Sound good? I figure since they have the mic cable to deal with the additional cable for headphones would not be a big deal. I could even twist tie them together.

I figure since they have the mic cable to deal with the additional cable for headphones would not be a big deal. I could even twist tie them together.

A duplex cable is what is usually used. Look up "Duplex Cable" at one of the "usual suspects" (professional location sound dealers).

Also, for less boom op encumbrance, the headphone amp can live on the mixer's cart.

Welcome to sound mixing.