Connecting RF Explorer to PC Computer

abuck050

I recently updated the firmware on my RF Explorer and since doing that whatever PC I connect it to won't recognize it. I have reached out to RF Explorer for support, but not making much headway there.

Wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue and if/how you were able to fix it.

I tried to do a similar thing a couple of months ago... attempting to update RF Explorer firmware from version 1.08 through my MacBook Pro.

I could never get the RF Explorer to be recognized. 

After several attempts with RF Explorer customer service, involving trying various cables and software solutions and various searches on the web that bore no useful fruit, I gave up and moved on to other things.

RF Explorer DID offer to do a screen share for $30, but I'll bet that more pressing business is at hand for them these days.

I certainly have copious amounts of time on my hands for the time being and would love to hear of a solution myself.

Dave W

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I haven't found a solution, but then again, I haven't looked for a solution since March.

I would suggest contacting RF Explorer customer service again and, if offered, do the screen share thing.

Is your problem the same as mine? Your computer won't recognize the device?

1 minute ago, acdave said:

Sorry, I haven't found a solution, but then again, I haven't looked for a solution since March.

I would suggest contacting RF Explorer customer service again and, if offered, do the screen share thing.

Is your problem the same as mine? Your computer won't recognize the device?

Yeah. Any computer I plug it into won't recognize it as a valid device. I had reached out to RF Explorer and they had me run some analysis software and send them the report. They said everything looked fine with my machine and that I was running the correct driver. So they suggested either finding a local tech lab to look at it or ship it to them in Madrid, Spain. USPS was the cheapest for shipping at $75-$100, but not sure I would trust it with how any shipping is going right now because of Covid. DHL was the next cheapest at $150 for one way shipping, so when all said and done with bench fees, taxes, and return shipping I may as well have bought a new unit instead.

$0.02, probably not leading to a solution: My first step of diagnosis would be something like

$ lsusb

# lsusb -vvv

or so from a generic Linux computer, before and after the update (or compared to a non updated device).

It will tell you, if the device introduces itself at all and if, as whatever. "Whatever" may change during Firmware upgrades, it does change in all kinds of hardware e.g. android phones, thumb drives, when in different boot modes / configurations. It also tells you, if the device talks at all.

If I get a hold of my WSUB1G+ soon with some antique firmware version currently on it, I might post my output here, but other ppl here may probably be faster.