Sanken CS-3e Sanity check.. 2nd oppinion needed

Derek H

Hi,

Just got this mic in the mail today..  It seems unusually "touchy"..  Higher handling noise than I remember (I've rented it in the past), and has an almost microphonic response to wiggling around in the shockmount (rycote invision).

If I tap on the mic body, the xlr shell, or the cloth cable going in I get a loud, glassy, "tink-tink-tink"..  With my schoeps and 416 this test results in more of a "thud-thud-thud".  Is it possible I got a out-of-whack CS-3e?  As it stands I'm not sure I can swing this thing even in an invision and not have handling noise problems..

Also the self-noise level is higher than what I remember with this mic.. seems to have significantly higher self-noise than my old T-power 416.

Does this sound right?

I don't think that sounds right at all!

I just started using the Cs3-e and I find it to be very forgiving in the 'handling noise' dept (Rycote modular susp, not the lyre mounts)  I was also expecting a bit higher self noise, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

As a side note, I just completed my first shoot with this mic.  I was in northern Germany, cold, wet, wet snow, mucho wind and a very loud environment.  My first setup was an interview, near a 5' diameter pipe that was gushing a water and sand mixture, 2 bulldozers and an excavator in the background, about 10' - 20' away.  When the director looked at me wincing- "how's that background noise?"  I said "all good!"  He was happy.