ICOM- IC-R6 Receiver for IFB

Sebastian

I have recently come across this ICOM receiver and was quite impressed by the fact that it can tap into almost any wireless frequency. A colleague showed me his and I sceptically tuned it into a Sennheiser G2 and Lectro UM400 to find that the signal reads well. I was wanting to find out what you guys think about using it as an IFB or a directors monitor as there would be no need to purchase a separate transmitter. The cost is very appealing and in these economically retarded times, it may be quite a good system to invest in.

" So this is what the paparazzi are using to tap sets? "

yes, and, sometimes to tap the police, too

scanners have been around for a long time...

back in the 1980's the driver on a show I worked had one to listen to the set...  so they could be ready when the actors were going to need their rides...

I own almost a dozen of these (well, the ic-r5's actually). As Scott said, they are perfect for reality situations where producers  either want to be able to tune into each cast member (regardless if they are on camera), or to switch between an almost unlimited number of crew mixes.

I will say that although they are definitely acceptable for following dialog and story, the overall quality is not up to the standards of, say, Comtek or Lectro IFB's.

The antenna is a little bit...ummm...erect. I have found that lectro Tx antennas (blk 20) make a good general replacement.

If you do end up getting a few of these, make sure to program you freqs in WFM mode, it is significantly clearer than FM.

--Wyatt

P.S. another benefit is the ability to tune in the weather report, traffic report, or baseball game on your down time!

" So this is what the paparazzi are using to tap sets? "

yes, and, sometimes to tap the police, too

scanners have been around for a long time...

back in the 1980's the driver on a show I worked had one to listen to the set...  so they could be ready when the actors were going to need their rides...

Cool about the driver! My battered Pro-94 served the same purpose when I lived under the flight path to DCA. I could listen for the clearance acknowledgment and head to the airport.

It's neat if the ICOM unit works with some police bands. LAPD doesn't use trunked frequencies? I guess the R6 would still work then...Never lived where the police (and often fire/EMS) don't use a trunked systems.