664 power shut off

bmh

I have a sound devices 664.

Recently on a shoot the power on my mixer  just shut off. I turned  it off and turned it back on and  it worked for the remainder of the shoot. The mixer was on a flat surface so there was no stress on the power cables. After the shoot I went through all the cables trying to see if there was a bad  power cable anywhere and everything seems to be fine.

I have had this mixer for many years and this has never happened before.

If this has happened to anyone else I would appreciate their input on what happened and what the fix is. 

Thanks

Bizarre. I have had my 664 since they were first introduced. Really a bullet proof machine. 

The only problem I have ever had with my 664 is, after many years of use, a circuit board ribbon cable worked loose, probably due to cluncking my mixer bag onto tables thousands of times.

You have jiggled switches, cables and connectors in an effort to duplicate the problem. That is good. Now questions.

1) were you operating on an AC adapter or battery? Is it possible either has an overload or under voltage circuit that could have suddenly reset and momentarily cut power?

2) Did anything else in your setup lose power at this time?

3) were you running power direct to the mixer or through a BDS? BDS units have short circuit protection. Maybe it momentarily reset.

The 664 may have been on a table, but if it was in a bag the power cable could still be stressed in some way.   Could your power switch be worn or dirty?  Could you have accidentally not firmly moved the switch completely to the ON position when you powered up that day?  I would consider using some contact cleaner on that switch, and on the power connector.  I have had power intermittents caused by not seating the removeable IEC end of the AC power cable all the way into the power supply, or it getting loose.

Also, not saying you did this, a time or three I have accidently flipped the power switch to INTERNAL instead of EXTERNAL. The 664 ran great for about 20 minutes on the five AA batteries. Then switched off. 

Was it an older battery pack? Maybe it had a weak moment and during recovery the battery's internal fuse got triggered. Had that issue with a (about 6 year old?) 73Ah V-Mount recently.

I’ve had my 664 power off and then power right back on twice. Both times this happened it reset everything to factory default settings. This became quite a stressful situation in a multi-cam setup with talent ready to go.