Classic gear

Michael P Clark

Not sure if this could be a start of a cool thread or not. But I was working in an old local recording studio, apparently where, Prince penned Purple Rain. Anyways, when we walked into the control room this lovely, classic console was inside, and I was really impressed with how clean it still was. post-118-0-42360800-1313100186.jpg

The head engineer said he couldn't pass it up, and says it sounds fantastic. What caught my eye, was the Channel section and the EQ switches(not knobs), with the ubiquitous Lexicon alongside, in it's familiar place on the desk.

post-118-0-01749900-1313100192.jpg

As we worked, I also discovered this EV 644 Sound Spot Shotgun mic. Curiousity peaked, I plugged it in, with their adapter cable, and she worked beautifully. Pretty decent, not ideal, but at that time, I'd bet it was nice sounding compared to other offerings at the time. Anyone here ever use this?

post-118-0-42986700-1313100197.jpg

I'm guessing that that is a early 80's Sphere Console

Sphere was descended from the Electrodyne and Quad Eight Mixers

This was a custom built board as you can see the different EQ sections

they were pricey and they sounded like it

michael, what was the name of the studio ?

al

I'm guessing that that is a early 80's Sphere Console

Sphere was descended from the Electrodyne and Quad Eight Mixers

This was a custom built board as you can see the different EQ sections

they were pricey and they sounded like it

michael, what was the name of the studio ?

al

Yes, that was it. I couldn't remember the boards name, so I didn't include it. Hearing it now, Sphere was the name of it. The studio is now called Glow in the Dark Studios. I saw a sign that said Cheshire Studios, only guessing that was an older name. The current owner, of only a few years, brought this console to the studio when he bought it. Said that most of his clients were metal bands.

• 2 weeks later...