Fisher 7 Workshop

ve7kjr

Thanks Colin, CrewC, Yes I had a good time teaching them on days 2,3. They were like deer in the headlights when they went on the Fisher to do a scene, so I would go up to them between takes and point out what they were doing wrong, most had a depth perception problem,with a bad rake angle on the mic and not folllowing the script. !2 showed up for the introduction class on day one, and six stayed for hands on days 2,3. Overall,I would have to say they enjoyed themselves (free lunch) and learned a gread deal

Is your 3 day Fisher Boom program a regularly scheduled event?

Are there even longer (4-5 day) programs out there?

It seems like lots of hands on time would be needed to get any degree of proficiency on them... like anything, I guess.

I am always in amazement when I see a master at work.

Fisher Boom ops should get an advanced scale, IMO...

MF

There are no 4-5 day programs I know of. In fact, I think there are no programs at all except the one Phil just did in Vancouver and the ongoing training Local 695 provides In Los Angeles. In L.A., we ran some group sessions but we saw that people really needed solid uninterrupted time on the boom so we turned it into one-on-one training to make it a more concentrated effort and to address the different abilities each person brings. As Phil notes, some have issues with depth perception and mic placement while others fight the eye-hand-coordination thing. And yet others take to it quickly and move on to advanced stuff so the one-on-one training works really well. We also spend time with the Model 2 boom and Model 3 base, which can find a place on episodic and features. Those of you in 695 can contact the Local anytime to arrange a training session... and that goes for Sound Mixers, too. It's amazing how many Sound Mixers know so lilttle about this tool and how it can help their crew deliver better tracks.

Hi Mikefilosa, No the Fisher Boom class is not a regulary scheduled event at my studio, however I'm thinking of hosting one again after we finish season 3. It was put together at the last moment so I didn't have a lot of time to plan everything out. Other workshops were going on at the studio at the time with Camera training / Multi-cam overview / AD workshop / Script workshop / Directors workshop. My day one (introduction) consisted of me talking for two hours about the history of JL Fisher and the fisher booms, different configurations , safety, mechanical operation and how everything works, pre inspection before operating and any maintenance the operator should due. Questions from the students were taken as I talked about each item. Just about all that attended had more than ten years experience working the traditional fishpoles on a one or two camera shoot, so sit-com,4 cameras and large sets and a live studio audience were all new to them. I then show them some of our large sets and explained how with two Fisher 7s One with a 20ft arm mine with a 26ft arm could cover the whole set with a large cast and 7 page scene. There is a lot of walking and talking on my show and we have to do a lot of hand-offs and fast resets on the booms to cover the scenes, Two Fishers and two good operators working together is pure magic and sometimes I think we make it look so easy. Like Laurence said " others fight the eye-hand-coordination thing" you will or should get to a point where you shouldn't even have to think about what your arms,hands, feet have to do to put the mic right where you need it.

My first introduction to a fisher boom was in 1980, 32 years ago when we were doing a musical show with Tom Jones. The Fisher was just used for the chit-chat with the guest star and Tom. The boom had an 816 at that time. When I got a call for "Mr. Young" from the mixer who was a friend, I jumped at the chance right away. Laurence was a great help with any questions I had . I took upon myself to know the tool of my trade and to be able to fix it if there was a problem, after all JL Fisher was a two hour plane ride away and we could not have a boom out of service even for 15 min: on a shoot day. I have restrung my boom twice, added the extension twice and replaced the actuating cable once (think open heart surgery) All my finesse has paid of many times over, the studio knows that if there is a problem I can fix it and down till will be nill and I have become more confident knowing the tool of my trade.

I'm going to attach one more picture of our biggest set,"the Quad" the picture only shows half the set, my arm is out there 26ft so you can see how far the mic is away from me and the need for very good depth perception. If my base was another 4ft forward I could carry actors all the way out the door down to the bottom edge of the grass with a pull back on the base.

post-1033-0-15753200-1327805029.jpg