Header Cable to stop/limit RF interference with Schoeps CMC5 48V preamp

Rainier  Davenport

I have the older CMC5 Schoeps 48V pre amps which are not shielded for RF interference, and my Tech Guy made me this fantastic Header Cable which virtually eliminated all RF interference. I need to make another header cable, but my Tech Guy has retired and I would have to destroy the header cable I'm using to see how he constructed it.

My limited understanding is that the header cable somehow uses Resisters (could be wrong!) and a connection with the XLR plug case which connects with the case of the preamp to reduce the RF interference. Someone described using Switchcraft plugs as they had a better connection? The current Header Cable does not use Switchcraft plugs.

I have tried to search the forum, but I have not returned any results as I am sure there was a post about this topic earlier that described how to make this Header Cable, or if any kind persons would describe how to make it again I would be very grateful.

I intend to send the Preamps back to Schoeps one day to have them modified, but I require this Header Cable work around due to budget restrictions.

The correct Neutrik connectors are the NC3FXX-EMC and the NC3MXX-EMC. I made some mic cables for Ty Ford using those connectors with Canare Star Quad. While a PITA to wire they eliminated every trace of any type of RF issues he was having.

You cannot just make a short jumper cable with those connectors and use it in line with the mic feed to the mixer. You must have it as the only line between the mic and the mixer.

Eric

I recall him describing some kind of electrical component and 'Capacitors' sound much more accurate than my memory of 'Resistors'. This diagram also uses the contact with the connector shell which is another aspect I recall him telling me about. He certainly did not mention 'The Neutrik EMC anti-RF connector' as part of what he made. Thanks for your replies so far this is a good start!

Hey Eric,

Would those connectors work for a wireless boom setup? You had said to mixer so I'm just double checking

I doubt it as the feed from mic to mixer has to be unbroken by anything in series with the cable. A wireless tx will break the feed and the RF can & will leak into the line at the in & out connections of the tx.

Eric

I recall him describing some kind of electrical component and 'Capacitors' sound much more accurate than my memory of 'Resistors'. This diagram also uses the contact with the connector shell which is another aspect I recall him telling me about.

He certainly did not mention 'The Neutrik EMC anti-RF connector' as part of what he made. Thanks for your replies so far this is a good start!

That's because I swore him to secrecy on a blood oath ;-))

Eric

The NC3FXX-EMC come with the Ambient phantom power supply (http://www.ambient.de/produkte/ambient-recording/mikrofonspeisung/ump-ii.html)

I have never had any Rf issues using this system. All said I am using Lectro SMa/um4ooa and Schoeps Cmit/641 in this configuration.