NAB: What to see, what to do?

Jim Feeley

This will be my first year going. I've registered for exhibiton(s) only and am wondering if this is the usual? I'm sure some of you purchase larger packages but from your experience is it worth it?

And if it is worth it could I purchase tickets on the day for specifics that i'm interested in?

I've attended NAB with expo-only, exhibitor, and press passes (sometimes covering technology, sometimes covering policy/lobbying/etc). I was also one of the people who started what is now called the Post|Production World conference at NAB. So I've had pretty deep access to everything NAB offers at their annual lobbying fundraiser. But luckily, I never had to pay for a conference pass.

Bottom line: The classes and conference presentations are uneven. Some are informative and valuable. Some are just marketing. 

Dig into what's described on these two pages and see if any of it looks really valuable to you. These days, the conferences and training cover a lot more than just broadcasting issues, but not really much on production audio:

And then check out some of the free "PIT" sessions that will be on the show floor:

http://nabshow.com/2013/education/pits.asp

These tend to be marketing vehicles for various exhibitors, but some of the presentations purposely cram in valuable and useful information along with their sales pitch. And you can attend those sessions with just an expo-only pass.

And plenty of big vendors have famous and/or clever users in their booths presenting talks on how they used that vendor's equipment in some real-world project. As long as you can filter out the sales pitch, these can be fun and sometimes useful.

So my guess: If one of the conferences or training sessions seems super-useful to you AND you have a boss who will foot the bill for an expensive pass, go for it.

Otherwise, you only need an expo-only pass. 

So, outside of the usual production-audio suspects, what are you all most interested in seeing at NAB?

Let's not just say "Sony, Panasonic, etc." But if there's a particular item at some big-vendor booth that you think I/we might otherwise miss, please chime in:

Me:

Old friends 

Digital Bolex (they'll be in a few booths...Not a camera for me, I think, but I hope they have something cool)

(Whoops...dinner time. More later)...What would you add?

Excellent write-up and links, Jim -- for NAB newbies and veterans alike.

The one thing I would add is to peruse the exhibitor listings and make a "hit list," otherwise with the massive amount available, you'll likely miss something that you will later wish you'd checked out.

http://nab13.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_results.cfm?type=alpha&alpha=@

You can create a personalized game plan here:

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=NAB13

Don't forget...

1.  Comfortable shoes

2.  Enjoy

It's a huge show covering three halls, so it's best to get an idea of who you want to see and look them up on the nab show website to find out their booth number. You can see a floor plan so you can see physically where everyone is. I typically end up visiting a few booths at least twice if something really catches my eye. The show can get quite busy and sometimes you may want to check something out at a booth but it will be too crowded and you'll have to come back.

I haven't been in NAB since 2006, so it should be fun and a lot better that the BVE here in UK, am i right dfisk?

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys actually. JW has been such a good source of knowledge recently, i want to know some of the source behind the source.

Also looking forward to new gadgets, you know, those little thing that are not usual but make our job better/easier

• 2 weeks later...