DIT Talkback to director

Olle Sjostrom

So, a friend of mine is building his own DIT-cart and wants a simple way of talking to the director if the director is far from the DIT-cart. 

The setup would be something like this: 

A-side (The DIT-cart);

Playback of video and audio

DIT-mic

Speaker with return signal from B-side

B-side (The director's position)

Speaker with A-side's playback and mic

Mic that captures general dialog, AND the output of the speaker, at director's position

My suggestion: 

A PIX240 at the DIT cart, with sound mixer's mix via AES inputs, leaving one of the XLR inputs free for a mic for talkback

His query: 
What if I wanted to talkback during playback?

Any suggestions?

Sorry if I'm unclear... 

Why is the DIT having ANYTHING to do with PLAYBACK of recorded video..?  No VTR guy... ?

BIG problem, at least here in the Western US...  That is the primary job of the nice folks caled "VTR"....  their profession and their livelihood...

Different place, different ideas...

Why is the DIT having ANYTHING to do with PLAYBACK of recorded video..?  No VTR guy... ?

BIG problem, at least here in the Western US...  That is the primary job of the nice folks caled "VTR"....  their profession and their livelihood...

Different place, different ideas...

Yes, certainly. 

I'm in Sweden, where job positions are often merged, so this is a combined DIT and VTR... but we say DIT. Sorry about that... 

The simplest solution would be something like a mixer with built in slate mic or something at the DIT cart, with a lav mounted at the director's position.... Something like a Mixpre. So that when playback from the PIX starts, it goes via the Mixpre. If the DIT would wish to speak, he could switch the slate mic on and it would pass to the speaker at the director's position...

Or, he could simply connect a PTT mic to the Mixpre too...