I am a boom operator. How do i save my back?

robertandrewreid

So many good pieces of advice from the group.  Especially about physical conditioning and about ladder use.

Ideally you should have both a full-sized ladder AND a small step ladder.  Being able, whenever the situation allows it, to choose the ladder that most easily allows you to boom from the waist is such a boon.  

I've found that on some show promo shoots they may run the same two or three sentence line 20 or 30 times to get what they want -- without a cut.  You want to be standing on your ladder with your pole at waist level, booming the presenter from above, only concentrating on keeping the mic in the sweet spot, not wondering whether your back is about to go into spasms.

Also, when using a long boom pole it is often helpful to add some back weight to make it easier to maintain a horizontal position for the pole.  Sometimes a roll of gaffer tape does the trick.  Or a 2-pound wrist or ankle weight that can be wrapped around the back end of the pole.

A high priority for surviving any physically demanding job (which certainly includes boom operating) is to maintain a high level of physical fitness and strength. A mix of weights, aerobics, core-training, etc, make an enormous difference. Like someone mentioned earlier, I, too, am a big fan of rock-climbing for exercise, which I've done with my boom op for years).

Glen Trew

A high priority for surviving any physically demanding job (which certainly includes boom operating) is to maintain a high level of physical fitness and strength. A mix of weights, aerobics, core-training, etc, make an enormous difference. Like someone mentioned earlier, I, too, am a big fan of rock-climbing for exercise, which I've done with my boom op for years).

Glen Trew

I use to climb as well when I was young and without children. A fun way to work the body and mind. Physical conditioning will serve you well at work and in life off the set.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

What is the reason why a product like this (below link) isn't as popular as I would think among boom operators? http://www.boomaudiovideo.com/index.php/en/products/kit-cool-boom-pole-support Is it mostly just pride or vanity? I'm just starting out too and was looking into getting one of these. I'm physically fit, I climb rock and ice, run marathons, and have no problem handling a long boom but I've met a couple older boom ops with back problems and one of them suggested a simliar product but that one seemed to have been discontinued.

Well, as a mixer who is simultaneously booming, that's a mighty big piece of machinery that sits where my mixer and wirelesses go.

And even if I wasn't wearing the mixer, that thing is too ungainly for the type of work I do. I need more mobility than it would allow.

I'm sure it would be quite useful for certain things, like a steadicam is very useful, but you don't want to be wearing the rig if the shot doesn't require it.

I'm off to do an hour of yoga...

cheers,

Brent Calkin