RF-Really Fed (up)

Mick

For the last few days here at Universal Studios I've been inundated with RF hits on all of my frequencies in block 21. I'm wondering if there's a new movie on the lot whose mixer is using the same frequencies as I am or if this is the start of the inevitable logjam in the lower frequencies as the upper ones in blocks 27 and 28 become unusable. I see that Lectrosonics are using block 19 for some of their latest wirelesses and I can only imagine how long these frequencies will remain viable until we are again forced into alternative means to achieve a clean recording. The Zaxcom recorder/transmitter system is looking good right now, as are my long unused duplex cables that sit in a case somewhere and are in dire danger of making a glorious comeback, at least on my crew.

I'm forced now into a spectrum analysis as part of my start ritual, often having to change frequencies on four or more wires to obtain hit-free audio. The spectrum around here used to look like a long road with occasional telegraph poles. Now it's nothing short of a Manhattan skyline. I'm apprehensive about where our business will be in only a few years since no-one seems to think that the entertainment industry has any kind of priority or precedence in the FCC's allocation process. I really feel for the reality Tv and Vegas live act audio engineers that rely on multiple wireless systems. Oh well, Can I still draw my 695 pension if I join the DGA?

Regards

MIck

I would imagine that we all share your pain.  Watching channels come and go throughout the day is worse than watching the stock market.  At least with the market you don't have a director and 20 clients listening.  One of the wisest thing I ever did was to hold on to my Lectrosonic VHS quad box system.  I pull them out at the first sign of trouble - like shooting in Pasadena with the antennas of Mt. Wilson towering above.  They sound fine and always work.

Bruce

I would imagine that we all share your pain.  Watching channels come and go throughout the day is worse than watching the stock market.  At least with the market you don't have a director and 20 clients listening.  One of the wisest thing I ever did was to hold on to my Lectrosonic VHS quad box system.  I pull them out at the first sign of trouble - like shooting in Pasadena with the antennas of Mt. Wilson towering above.  They sound fine and always work.

Bruce

I think you mean VHF.  I still have one 185 and it works quite well for TC tx and backup....but they're gonna sell those bands too (the old VHF "Traveling" bands).

Philip Perkins

Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, the status of the VHF traveling band remains unchanged. The spectrum auction for the area above 700MHZ has been completed, with the spectrum already awarded to the highest bidder. February, 2009, all of he current analog stations will shut down, and the digital stations currently residing north of 700MHZ will all move down to below the auctioned area, most of which will go down to where their analog channels used to be located. The net result should then be more open white spaces available for you than you have had with both the digital and analog stations on line simultaneously. So, a bit of relief is on the way.

The potential of the new white spaces being sold or used for other nefarious non-production purposes is another story altogether.

Also, Several manufacturers including Lectro and Sennheiser are now offering products in the 944MHZ range. A sort-of underused "traveling band" in the UHF spectrum. The 944 band is 8 MHz wide, and about 1/3 the bandwidth of a typical frequency block. This still allows up to ten wireless mic channels to operate simultaneously (depending on local use) in this spectrum. There are no TV channels operating in this band. In some areas it is used for studio to transmitter links but, we have had a lot of success putting 944MHZ wireless in difficult areas.

Lectro also has introduced blocks 470, 19 and 20 to off-set the loss of blocks 27,28 and 29 in the transition.

Good Luck,

Steve J.

LSC

Just received an email from Gotham Sound about their latest "Meet the Gear" breakfast.  Seems like it's just in time.

RF Spectrum: What every sound mixer needs to know about the changing airwaves.

with Special Guest - Henry Cohen of Production Radio Rentals

Saturday, June 28th

10:30am @ Gotham

rsvp to gotrsvp+rf@gmail.com

Topics will include:

What are the new FCC regulations?

What effect will the 700 MHz re-allocation have on wireless mics and when?

What are the "White Space" proposals and will they interefere with wireless mics?

What can sound mixers do?

This newest one has yet to appear on their website, only by email.

Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, the status of the VHF traveling band remains unchanged. The spectrum auction for the area above 700MHZ has been completed, with the spectrum already awarded to the highest bidder. February, 2009, all of he current analog stations will shut down, and the digital stations currently residing north of 700MHZ will all move down to below the auctioned area, most of which will go down to where their analog channels used to be located. The net result should then be more open white spaces available for you than you have had with both the digital and analog stations on line simultaneously. So, a bit of relief is on the way.

The potential of the new white spaces being sold or used for other nefarious non-production purposes is another story altogether.

Also, Several manufacturers including Lectro and Sennheiser are now offering products in the 944MHZ range. A sort-of underused "traveling band" in the UHF spectrum. The 944 band is 8 MHz wide, and about 1/3 the bandwidth of a typical frequency block. This still allows up to ten wireless mic channels to operate simultaneously (depending on local use) in this spectrum. There are no TV channels operating in this band. In some areas it is used for studio to transmitter links but, we have had a lot of success putting 944MHZ wireless in difficult areas.

Lectro also has introduced blocks 470, 19 and 20 to off-set the loss of blocks 27,28 and 29 in the transition.

Good Luck,

Steve J.

LSC

I have it from some broadcast/RF engineers that the VHF band we used is promised to land-mobile and emergency.

Philip Perkins

This might not help the Venue people (like me), and it is not very convenient for people who like to pick a corner and stay there all day (like me), but close proximity of the receivers with lower gain omni antennae really helps a lot with interference.

In a poor situation, I run a portable receiver to the set on a single XLR to still give my boom op the freedom to move.  It helps a lot.

Robert

This might not help the Venue people (like me), and it is not very convenient for people who like to pick a corner and stay there all day (like me), but close proximity of the receivers with lower gain omni antennae really helps a lot with interference.

In a poor situation, I run a portable receiver to the set on a single XLR to still give my boom op the freedom to move.  It helps a lot.

Robert

The Venue is so nice and small it seems like you could remote it to the set pretty easily, maybe in one of those little sack-racks like musicians use?

Philip Perkins

sometimes an omni antenna, real close is better, but sometimes a directional antenna can be used to reduce interference by arranging to have it pointing away from the interfering signal...

a nice 6 pair mult cable and an AC extension can be helpful for moving a VR closer to the TX's