Weird Audio problem with TRX743 Plug on Tx

cstauffer

Hello everyone. I am having a weird audio issue with the TRX743 Tx, and wondering if anyone else has had it happen to them.

I recently acquired the TRX743 in November 2020. Saw it used on the Trew site, and had never been used, and wanted another to use with my TRX742 for when have 2 booms going. TRX742 has been great over the years I have had it. Seeing as the 743 is newer tech I moved it into the first choice position and the 742 became the 2nd boom Tx. Anyway, first situation came up recently where I went from normal conversation level to yelling with in a scene, which is where it is great to have the zaxnet controllable input on the plugon Tx. Done that very thing with the 742 with no issues over the years. However, and just so you know I have been talking to Zaxcom about this, when the yelling comes along and I turn down the input on the 743 via zaxnet everything seems fine for the first little bit and the level is all good, but then all of a sudden the audio will shoot up in volume temporarily and then go back down to where I had it to handle the louder SPL. It can do this once, or multiple times during the course of the louder moments. More than anything I wanted to know if anyone else out there has had this happen? I am currently running 2.18R frimware, which is what Howy at zaxcom is recommending at the moment, but the website says something different. Using the 3.xx that is currently on there has some issues with losing connection to zaxnet and means you have to turn the unit on and off to reconnect. Howy at zaxcom put me back on 2.18R as the most stable. This is what they are also currently shipping new ones with.

Anyway, I hope to hear others experiences, and maybe this can get figured out, if only to know that I am not crazy. Thanks.

CRAIG

Hi John. They are factory and have already gone over all that with zaxcom. Same settings I used my 742 with for years and no issues like this ever. Think I am more trying to see if anyone else has had the same issue with their 743. Might provide some more info to help solve it. If not, then it might point to hardware possibly. Thanks.

CRAIG

I recently got one as well, and noticed a couple times if I change gain too fast that can happen. I was on 3.xx but moved back to the zax recommended firmware. Haven’t listened for that since but I can test it tomorrow and see if that’s happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jebari. I now know I am not crazy. Howy at Zaxcom and I had a long talk and he tried something in a firmware change and it seems to have worked and solved the problem. He named it 2.18T. Can either contact him to send you the firmware, or if you DM me here I could forward it to you. 

Craig

I can confirm having that problem too. That makes me just avoid using zaxgain during a scene or I carefully choose a moment in between words because lowering the gain, during a shouting scene for example, is not a good idea. I was using the digital gain of my nomads aes inputs instead and found a medium-compromise trx gain as the way how to deal with this issue. I'd be interested to try out that fw version to see if that makes a big difference... I guess the "2.18T" fw is not on the zaxcom website?

I also had issues with shooting in a club. I was using an MKH40 on the boom. High gain settings above 30 sounded a bit hot but kind of okay. lower settings made the sound go on and of as if it was a really weird gating effect. I did change my dynamics settings afterwards and haven't shot a similar scene like that again. So I can't really tell if the dynamics settings might have solved it as well?

Hey Oscar. No, I do not think the 2.18T is on the website. Could be wrong, but...If you DM me I could send it to your email, or you can contact howy at zaxcom for it.

As for the dynamics settings, I have a list of the factory settings if you would like to start at square one with that. I have found they have always worked and any changes to that, not necessarily, save for just upping the make up gain. 

Craig

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:47 AM, cstauffer said:

Thanks Jebari. I now know I am not crazy. Howy at Zaxcom and I had a long talk and he tried something in a firmware change and it seems to have worked and solved the problem. He named it 2.18T. Can either contact him to send you the firmware, or if you DM me here I could forward it to you. 

Craig

Just seeing this. Would love to get a link for 2.18T!