Pico mixer direct outs

Matti

I may buy an old and cheap AD pico mixer to be used as a front end for my DAW, mainly

for music recording at my home and would like to get advice of an easy and simple mod for direct outs.

I know some of you had them made at the time and would be extremely happy if you could help me with papers or other information.

Regards

Matti Lehtonen

The basic concept of just adding direct outs to a mixer is fairly easy.  The complications come in as you decide if, for instance, you have plug-in modules, and you still wish to keep them plug-in without a separate cable to be disconnected, etc.

For a pre-fader direct out, tapping off the signal at the high side of the mix pot is generally a good point.  You're typically coming out of the E.Q. and a buffer amp at this point and then feeding the mix pot with an unbalanced signal which is then routed to the mix buss, etc.

If you have a set of schematics and circuit board diagrams you can more easily figure out if there is an unused pin, or set of pins, on the plug-in channel card.  Then, decide how to route the signal from the output point in the circuit to the connectors, and from there it is a matter of picking up the signal from the motherboard and adding connectors to the backplane.  An alternative is to hard wire from the card to the backplane connectors, but that makes servicing the unit much more kludgy.  You can also wire from the channel card to an in-line connector and from there to the backplane connectors, but that adds extra wires crammed into the small interior space.  However you wire it can result in additional cross-talk if not done correctly.  A well-designed mix panel has had a good deal of attention paid to grounding which is part of the reason they have much less cross-talk than a cheaper board.

So, finding the point to derive the signal from is the easy part.  Maintaining the integrity of grounding and ease of service are the harder missions.

Good luck,

John

I did the prefade out mods to my old AD145--the people at Audio Developments were pretty helpful in telling  me where the pickoff points for both pre and post fade would be.  The mod worked out quite well.  The hard part was figuring out where I could fit a connector for the direct out.  I ended up adding a TS mini female to the very top of each strip, by the trim selector.  BTW, you are still stuck with the "spacing" of the levels of the switchable H-Pad, unless you've modded those already.

Philip Perkins

Mr. Lestage is selling his 147 really cheap and it's is great shape and has the direct out mod. Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Developments-AD147-Console-Audio-Mixer_W0QQitemZ330375070179QQcategoryZ23785QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63#ht_500wt_1182

Gabi

• 3 weeks later...

Up to date

I was looking for something really, really cheap and found one from UK, I paid about 350£ to my door in Finland.

Not seen it yet -other than pictures- but I´m quite confident about the condition of the mixer and I will go through it when doing the direct outs.

Matti