Belt or sound bag tool for feeding and collecting boom cable

rmac

I’ve ordered a Panamic 2.3m/7.5’ boom pole that uses external cable. This lineman belt hook, which also comes in a gated version, looks like it might work for feeding and collecting a moderate amount of cable:

image.jpeg

Good idea or not? What’s your favorite tool for this?

I've had some luck with Nite Ize Gear Ties. I like the fact that you can lock those, so the cable doesn't untie itself which almost always happens when you don't want it to. I've dreamed of taking my vacuum cleaner's cable winch out and putting it on my bag.. but.. weight and noise. 

35 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

I've had some luck with Nite Ize Gear Ties. I like the fact that you can lock those, so the cable doesn't untie itself which almost always happens when you don't want it to. I've dreamed of taking my vacuum cleaner's cable winch out and putting it on my bag.. but.. weight and noise. 

https://niteize.com/gear-tie-reusable-rubber-twist-tie

The vacuum cleaner cable winch sounds like more fun though 👌

3 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

2 hours ago, awadden said:

Didn't know about these but there's also "The Cable Binders" by Bubblebee. Seems to be the same thing and might be found at the same store you buy or rent your audio gear. At least that's how I stumbled across them.

Vac cleaners use high power slip rings and are kind of crude for a mic signal and difficult to isolate from EMI. Their systems are quite big, for longer and thicker cables. Some even only have 2 "channels". The better ones come with constant torque springs rather than power springs. Over all, they are not made to be taken apart and I have given up attempts to harvest them from old units before.

A DYH-1703 may have the right dimension, though also not small and the breaking system would probably need some modification to be quite. I do not have or have used one. I do use a DYH-1816 without the break on the boom but 3m max is probably too less for a bag to boom scenario.