Sennheiser IFB Receiver that’s compatible with Sennheiser EW DP Camera Hop?

Hey all, 

Currently searching for a Sennheiser IFB Receiver that would be compatible with my EW DP Wireless Transmitter — which is currently being used as a camera hop.

The plan would be to send the same signal to the EW DP Rx and a compatible Sennheiser IFB, simultaneously. 

IFB would be used so that the director can monitor the audio feed on set.

The Sennheiser EW DP Camera Hop operates in 470-526 mHz range. 

looking to keep price below $500 — don’t mind buying used. 

any suggestions?

thanks! 

To my knowledge, Sennheiser has yet to make an IEM that is compatible with the digital modulation being used by their new EW-DP system. To get the functionality you seek, you’d need to revert to the analog G2/G3/G4 transmitter and analog IEM receivers, or a different system entirely.

1 hour ago, rich said:

the EW-DP receiver has a headphone out.

True, but that requires the director to be tethered to the camera — which isn’t an option in this case

or — I’d have to buy a Tx G3 to transmit the headphone out from the EW DP lol 

9 hours ago, Carlos Maeda said:

To my knowledge, Sennheiser has yet to make an IEM that is compatible with the digital modulation being used by their new EW-DP system. To get the functionality you seek, you’d need to revert to the analog G2/G3/G4 transmitter and analog IEM receivers, or a different system entirely.

understood. What about another brand? Anything digital that can operate in that range and maintain comparability with the EW DP? 

13 minutes ago, D Clay Audio said:

True, but that requires the director to be tethered to the camera — which isn’t an option in this case

or — I’d have to buy a Tx G3 to transmit the headphone out from the EW DP lol 

... you get a second EW DP to receive the signal you are already sending to the camera.

A good and proper Cam Hops Kit should have a TX with Multiple RX to be used for multiple cameras, or in your case, as listening devices (IEM) for producers.

Cheers,

Tim

21 minutes ago, Tim Norris said:

... you get a second EW DP to receive the signal you are already sending to the camera.

A good and proper Cam Hops Kit should have a TX with Multiple RX to be used for multiple cameras, or in your case, as listening devices (IEM) for producers.

Cheers,

Tim

I feel like an idiot for not considering that, but you’re right — that’s certainly an option. Not the most pocket  friendly solution, but it could work 

On 5/8/2024 at 8:59 AM, D Clay Audio said:

I feel like an idiot for not considering that, but you’re right — that’s certainly an option. Not the most pocket  friendly solution, but it could work 

For Hops I am really happy with the 'Lectrosonics DCHT / DCHR combination. The M2Ra works well as a less expensive, more producer friendly IEM. In a pinch, it works as an extra Hops receiver.

Cheers,

Tim

On 5/8/2024 at 8:26 AM, D Clay Audio said:

understood. What about another brand? Anything digital that can operate in that range and maintain comparability with the EW DP? 

To my knowledge, no one makes a receiver capable of deciphering a digital signal from multiple brand transmitters. Unlike analog companding, every manufacturer has their own way of transmitting/receiving Ones and Zeros that makes them incompatible with each other. 

As others have suggested, your easiest solution would be to procure additional EW-DP receivers that can all receive signal from a common Sennheiser digital transmitter. If that form factor does not work for you, you’ll unfortunately have to resort to a separate transmitter/receiver system to dedicate for IEMs, or scrap the EW-DPs entirely and change your whole setup to something like Sennheiser analog (G4tx + G4rx/IEMs), Wisycom analog (MTP + MPRs), Lectro analog (various tx/rx combos + R1a), Lectro digital (DCHT + DCHR/M2Rs), or Zaxcom digital (CL + RX200/URXs).

On 5/8/2024 at 1:51 PM, rich said:

the EW-DP receiver has a headphone out.

And a belt clip is included.

So that seems to be Sennheiser's idea of a versatile receiver although it's a little bulky imho.

I find the opportunity of using either a Li Ion battery pack (which also fits in the EW transmitters) or AAs or external USB really good. And the EW-DP is as cheap as other IEM-only receivers.