New Lectrosonics Quadra

Simon Paine

Hey Everyone,

Just read aobut the new Lectrosonics Quadra IEM unit they are introducing. It's based on the D4 system you may have worked with or heard about.

See it here: http://www.lectrosonics.com/Press-Releases/lectosonics-debuts-quadra-digital-wireless-monitor.html

So hear are my thoughts on how this could be a really cool product for us in the Film / TV business.  (oh and please try and control yourself Senator, I may actually ask a few questions in this post without calling the manufacturer !!! gasp !!)

I already use a D4 in my setup. Tx in my bag (or Cart) and D4 RX on the camera. So i Could send a mix on 1 or 2 channels to camera, my Directors Comtek feed could now be on channel 3 (the quadra receiver units would be on channel 3) then I can send a pre fade boom feed on channel 4 for my boom op, who is also using a Quadra receiver unit tuned to channel 4.

I could be sending out 4 different mixes, serving different purposes using just the 1 D4 TX. Less space and power consumption then if I were using seperate camera hop and IFB Transmiters.

Now I just need to find out if this Quadra system would be compatible with the D4 system.

What do you guys think ? Anyone here from Lectro who might chime in on the cross platform compatibility of the Quadra and D4 ?

The new Lectro system has been mentioned in several threads already...

" What do you guys think ?  "

What we think doesn't make it so.

This product was developed from the D-4 platform, and I would guess it is compatible, but that is just an educated guess, as I did not ask that question at the NAMM show.

" Anyone here from Lectro "

while I do not know, I doubt it.

So, where does that leave you??  Don't worry, you won't be able to purchase one until next week...

The Quadra system is compatible with the D4. Compatibility has been our philosophy whenever possible, such as the compatibility modes on the 400 series gear. It's easier on our customers and us. The Quadra does have a low latency mode that gives up a little distortion in exchange for latency less than 1 ms for analog inputs and less than 0.5 ms for AES in and out. I think the distortion goes from .03% to .05%. The low latency mode is not compatible with the D4 or needed for D4 type applications. The low latency mode is to reduce comb filtering to lower levels in In Ear Monitor applications. D4 latency is only 2.2 ms for analog in and out, and 1 ms for AES in and out.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Since the morning post, we've decided to make all systems in the low latency mode. This will require a simple update to the D4 series using the USB port on the D4T or D4R. At lunch today, the we decided the disadvantage of the low latency mode was miniscule compared to cutting the moderate latency in half. Distortion goes from .0375% to .045% in low latency mode but analog latency goes from 2.2 ms to 0.96ms. We will rewrite the D4 code within a week or so and include a cheat sheet on how to load it into all older D4 products. So they will be compatible after a little customer upgrade work.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

The Quadra system is compatible with the D4. Compatibility has been our philosophy whenever possible, such as the compatibility modes on the 400 series gear. It's easier on our customers and us. The Quadra does have a low latency mode that gives up a little distortion in exchange for latency less than 1 ms for analog inputs and less than 0.5 ms for AES in and out. I think the distortion goes from .03% to .05%. The low latency mode is not compatible with the D4 or needed for D4 type applications. The low latency mode is to reduce comb filtering to lower levels in In Ear Monitor applications. D4 latency is only 2.2 ms for analog in and out, and 1 ms for AES in and out.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Thanks Larry.

Thats great news.

I'm a fan of my D4 system. But if I may, I'd like to make 2 small suggestions that could improve it.

1: I would love to get some of those white plastic rain covers (part number p1199 I believe) that I have for my 411's in the D4 size.

2: Judging by the picture of the Quadra receiver units, it looks like you may have a new Antenna design for the receivers. I've lost quite a few D4 receiver antennas to negligent camera operators. Would love something a little more flexible.

Thanks.

Hi Simon,

Good idea on the rain covers. I will see if we can find some time to get a mold built. As far as the antennas, we could put a 1/4 wave wire on a reverse SMA with a little work. The antenna that comes with the D4 units has 3 dB of gain as it is a half wave antenna. They are "special" but fragile,as we are finding out. Check back (nag) in about a month.

Best,

LarryF

Lectro

Thanks Larry.

Thats great news.

I'm a fan of my D4 system. But if I may, I'd like to make 2 small suggestions that could improve it.

1: I would love to get some of those white plastic rain covers (part number p1199 I believe) that I have for my 411's in the D4 size.

2: Judging by the picture of the Quadra receiver units, it looks like you may have a new Antenna design for the receivers. I've lost quite a few D4 receiver antennas to negligent camera operators. Would love something a little more flexible.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hi Larry,

As per your instructions, I'm just following up ( IE Nagging lol) about the D4 inquiries.

Have you released the new firmware that would allow cross compatibility between the D4 and the Quadra receivers ?

How about the plastic rain covers or flexible receiver antennas ?

I've got an upcoming gig that would I would love to be using the Quadra receivers on.

Thanks.

Two out of three ain't bad. We have the new firmware. Your D4T will need to have it loaded and as will your D4R to remain compatible. It is the new low latency firmware for all D4 systems.

I was shown a mockup of the antenna last Friday and it looks good. Uses our usual steel wire rope with a movable joint to give 90 degree movement. I should have one in several weeks to try on a guinea pig. I assume you will volunteer to break it.

Nothing started on the plastic cover, yet.

Best,

LarryF

Lectro

The new firmware has been released to production and is going in all new units. We need to make a D4 location for the download on our website. Right now the D4 Update Utility is part of the Lecnet2 downloads and we want a separate location to keep the confusion down. I think we can get it done by this Friday.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

• 4 weeks later...