Strongest Transmitter?

mhp

I have a car commercial coming up where the want me to hide mics in the interior, record, and then transmit to a follow van. I've used the Lectrosonics (250mw) transmitter before, but this time I may have to hide deeper in the car. Is there a stronger transmitter system out there? Thanks

i rigged a car setup for a hidden camera show, and production hired in and licensed a 1 watt amp attached to an external antenna so the sound recordist in the van following could pick it up. he reported no drop outs all day and i believe at times he was quite a way a way from the moving vehicle.

but recording locally as well may be a cheaper or involve less paperwork. also consider a set of receivers in the car attached to a recorder, or hard wire to a 302 or mix pre or similar and send the outputs to your transmitters as well as a recorder.

Talent can't know the car is rigged at all, so no large external antennas, or exposed gear. Thinking of hiding the transmitter deep or under something, and then running an antenna cable somehow to the back bumper. Two recorders (744t's probably) hidden (one backup) and planting b6's.

Talent can't know the car is rigged at all, so no large external antennas, or exposed gear.

Wow, this is like a candid camera/undercover thing? That's a real challenge.

I agree: going with a 744t inside the car, with embedded B6's carefully mounted at strategic locations, would be a pretty solid solution, especially if you can't monitor it. Even getting a 250mw signal out of the car without an exposed antenna somewhere will be really hard. I had a car interior shoot about a year ago where there was no room for anybody because of the director's shooting choices, so we just wired everybody up and rolled on a 744t. No looping -- all the dialog turned out fine and got into the final picture.

--Marc W.

Good budget. We get a few days to rig car also.

One thing to consider is a mag mount external antenna, like the Audio Ltd. 900-120 mounted on the trunk lid of the car.

If you can place a transmitter in the trunk, the cable can be routed so it's safe. The antenna can be cut to the right length for the frequency you're using and the cable terminated with whatever connector is right.

900-120.jpg

Best regards,

Jim

If multiple transmitters are required, then hiding an external antenna will be tricky. An externally mounted magnetic antenna, like shown above (and available from Vark Audio) can be mounted on the trunk. I doubt anyone would suspect anything. "It's for the GPS or the radio".

So I would do what has been advised. Hide your mics and run them to a recorder (might require custom cables to extend the lav cables to your mixer/multi-track recorder in the trunk). Then use 250mW transmitter to transmit a "mix" or sum to you in the van.

Good luck,

Robert

Why bother with wireless at all? You'll be moving through various RF frequency fields and can't guarantee you will have clean RF signal between your transmitter and receiver. I would simply use a B6 our Sanken terminating to an XLR and multitrack on a 744, Zaxcom, etc. Wireless is great when the talent or sound source needs to move around and have the mix follow. In this case the talent and mix are basically stationary in relation to each other.

Because you have quite a few days to rig the car you can easily hide the capsule and wiring. The recorder can go in the trunk, hidden if needed. Then a good transmitter and receiver can be used to monitor the audio in the chase vehicle.